Fender Restoration Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by marh415, Oct 29, 2016.

1. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    A little history first beforehand. Before I received my first bass almost three years ago, a friend of mine let me borrow his Fender Precision to mess around with. Considering the electronics weren't working, I never paid a whole lot of attention to it till now. From what I have been told, it's an American 70"s era Precision. I brought it to a local Fender guy, who said he would pop the neck off and tweak the truss rod to straighten the neck and take a look at the electronic issues. He also said that at some point the tuners were replaced with Schaller's for some reason. So, it is some what of a mystery bass.

I have always had a thing for that Fender "P" tone and was considering one or at least a variation of one for my next bass. (The new PJ Mustang has really caught my attention as well.) Anyway, after taking a liking to the classic roadworn Fender offerings, I was thinking maybe I could create my own.

My friend offered to sell me his fender for $400. He had bought it back in the mid 90's for around $750 and never took a liking to playing bass.

So my question is, is it worth $400? If so, would it be a good choice to upgrade with new electronics and hardware? I would be looking for that worn look, kind of like you would see on Fleas new Jazz offering. Your thoughts please.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  2. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Assuming it's mostly in its original state, 400 bucks is a steal. I mean, used Squiers are going for 400 these days. A genuine 70's P-Bass?...it's a once in a lifetime opportunity! You could get the electronics fixed (or do it yourself if you can solder) and then flip it for at least three times that amount. Then use the cash to buy yourself whatever you want.

Of course, if you like the bass after getting it up to speed, keep it and enjoy it.

But grab that thing while you can for the measly four Ben Franklins.

3. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    Any recommendations for road worn parts, more specifically the bridge and machine heads?

4. MrMoonlight

MrMoonlight Bottom feeder Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Honestly, I wouldn't recommend relic-ing a real 70's P-Bass. If you really want a "Road Worn" Precision, I'd bring your '70's P up to snuff and then sell it. You'll make more than enough to go buy yourself a new Road Worn '50s MIM or the Flea Sig model and have cash left over to buy more gear or spend on your woman or whatever.

If you are only going change out the bridge or tuners, keep the originals to reinstall in case you sell. But don't wreck a future vintage instrument by beating up the finish or the neck. It'll dramatically affect the resale value. If owning a real '70s Precision isn't that important to you then, by all means, flip the thing and make someone happy who appreciates it for what it is. In all honesty, it's what I would do. Personally, I've never played a 70's P that wasn't a dog, a boat anchor or both (and I've had quite a few of them in my hands). This time period was probably the lowest point in Fender's history. There are supposedly some gems amongst the gravel out there, but I've never experienced one. I'd rather have an MIM '50s P than a MIA 70's P any day of the week. But that's me. You'll need to decide for yourself what you want to do.

5. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Tell you what....I will buy you a Roadworn bass and you give me this one in trade.

I'm not kidding.

Ghastly, Caloiski, ExaltBass and 7 others like this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Running your serial number through guitar dater project returned:
    Your guitar was made at the
    Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA
    in 1970
    Production Number: 283352

This program isn't perfect but it's a good solid lead. Date codes on the pots and any markings on the heal of the neck will help tell the tale. Getting a true expert to eyeball this bass is highly recommended as parts basses have been around a long time and so have counterfeits. Both you and any perspective buyer must be exactly sure of what is what. A lightly modified (reversible) bass with original finish would be a high value player grade. Only all original vintage Fenders are truly collectable.

marh415 likes this.
  7. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    I plan on bringing it by the local shop tomorrow to see what it will take to bring it back to life.

8. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    Lol, I will keep that in mind.

design likes this.
  9. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Lol!

However, I am very serious.

Go have a look in the classifieds this weekend. Send me a link of the bass you want. I'll work out a deal with the seller and have the bass shipped to you. Just before I do it, I just need the report from your tech and a couple of pictures so I can verify its originality.....and were done.

Think about it. You could have a Roadworn next week.

marh415 likes this.
  10. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If that bass is from 1970 it is worth much more than a road worn bass. It has been refinished (no holes for the ashtray covers) and it has a later pickguard from the 1976-81 period. Look for a neck stamp on the end of the neck and send a pic of the body with the pickguard off. The bridge is correct for a mid to late 70's bass.

marh415 and Linnin like this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The Dee Dee Ramone Precision was a 1970's model, and an Artist Series instrument was issued by Fender in 2015 and is now discontinued. It was Olympic White with a white neck just like yours. In the 1980's CBS era 1970's Precisions were everywhere and cheap too! Like $100-$150. It's no small wonder they were the bass of choice by punks everywhere. Plus they were well known professional rock basses and the funk machine of choice.

So put your bass back in playable condition. If your pickup is original and dead, call Lindy Fralin in Richmond, Virginia. He got his start in the 1980's rewinding dead Fender pickups. He might rewind yours to stock factory specs. Don't change out anything original that you don't have to. Have it looked over and appraised by an expert. Right now your bass is worth in the $1,500 - $2,000 neighborhood. If it were all original and playable it would be worth about twice as much.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    marh415 likes this.
  12. A born salesman..................hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Get a good valid appraisal and all the information before you do anything. Just sayin'

marh415 likes this.
  13. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    It also has the holes drilled for a thumb bar. Where they standard on any 70's Precisions?

14. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The holes for the thumb rest are in the location for a bass from the 1975-81 timeframe.

marh415 likes this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Dee-Dee-Ramone.jpg

MCF and marh415 like this.
  16. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah ... That serial number doesn't make sense with the position of that thumbrest. Could be a replaced neckplate.

Jim Carr and marh415 like this.
  17. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    I see, as soon I get the neck and pickguard removed, I will post those pics ASAP. Thank's!

18. marh415

marh415

Nov 30, 2013
    RI
    It will no doubt be interesting to find out, definitely a mystery bass, lol.

19. There's a biggggg difference between 'listed for' and going for. I've never seen a Squier sell for over $250, I've seen them listed for between $400 and $900, but they just sit on CL for months because no one is dumb enough to buy them.

packhowitzer likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021