Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender, Reverend, and Jazz-like fivers...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by misterk73, Jul 25, 2002.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    A few questions, with your answers to be based upon your own unique experience and/or knowledge:

1) IN GENERAL: Any recommendations out there for alternatives to a Fender 5-string Jazz? (I'm pretty sure I want a Jazz-like fiver, but I'm not exactly sold on Fender. I won't spend more than a grand, and would love to pay less.)

2) REVEREND OWNERS/PLAYERS: How does the 5L and/or Brad Houser compare to a Fender Jazz 5-string in terms of feel, sound, playability, etcetera?

3) REVEREND OWNERS/PLAYERS: How does the 5L compare to the Brad Houser in terms of feel, sound, playability, etcetera?

Thanks!

2. I think one major difference is that the Reverends are 35" scale instead of 34". The Brad Houser should provide more tonal versatility, but either bass would be a great choice (if they're anything at all like my Reverend Rumblefish). Sorry, I haven't played one of their fivers.:oops:

3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    For some reason, scale differences don't seem to bother me as much as some people. I'm used to 34" scale right now, but I've played a few instruments with 35" scale and the differences seemed negligible. Thanks!

4. the brad houser has a wider neck and string spacing than the 5L, if that's what you wanted to know. i've never played either.

5. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Kind of. I know the Houser model has a wider neck and string spacing. Specs only tell part of the story, though, so I guess I'm curious to hear a comparison from someone who's played both...

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You could try to find a used Hamer Cruise 5 with a 2Tek bridge. They're considered pretty good.

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    There is the Lakland SkyLine Joe Osborn 5 string. It costs about $1000 & I have one on order with Gard at Bass Central. They won't be availabe until September, thou. I've been so happy with the way my SkyLine 55-01 feels & sounded I want to see if the jazz 5 is any good.

8. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I love my Cruise 4 to death, but haven't had any luck tracking down the 5-string version. Good call, though...

9. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Now THAT's interesting...I assume you'll post a review when it arrives?

10. Nice to meet you! I've owned and recorded with both a 'Fish 5L and a Houser 5 (still own the Houser). The 'Fish is a great-sounding, vintage-esque recording machine. Look up "Plug n Play" in a dictionary and there should be a picture of a Rumblefish. It just works.

The biggest negative about the 'Fish was its switching options. While it did have three or four AMAZING tones and a nice neck, I got annoyed that there was no blending feature between the pickups and that there was no way to solo the bridge pickup. I just had a feeling that there would be something nice in that bridge pickup when solo'ed.

So I sold my 5L and bought the Houser. The series/parallel/single switch is on each pickup along with a volume control and a master passive tone. I love this bass! The neck feels different, but still great, and it goes to tape easily as well as the 'Fish did, and it has some neat tonal options. Some settings remind me of a P-Bass, others a Sting Ray, and still others are unique to the Houser.

I have a Fodera and a Sadowsky and other fairly high-end basses, but I still give the Brad Houser 5 my highest recommendation. At the price, it is an unbelievable bargain.

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    http://www.bassalone.com/hamerblack5.html

Don't tell me I never did anything for you.:p

12. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    GAS attack!!! I'm totally obsessed with the idea of a lava-swirl Reverend right now, but a nice Cruise 5 at a nice price like that might win by a...carrot?

[What's with all the carrot references around here, anyway?]

13. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Lush:

I'd go for it. You know that B string's gotta be wicked.

14. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hey, BW! Have you ever deal with John DiMaggio and/or Bass Alone before? Reliable? Respectable? Honest?

15. I've been to Bass Alone and it was a cool experience. John DiMaggio is a real nice guy and seems very upfront, honest.

Pretty good price on that Cruise 5 too. A Cruise 5 2TEK was my first "good" bass and I used it exclusively for about three years. But then I got a Fender J and found that the Cruise was a little too "dry" sounding in the low mids. Mine had the Duncan Active Stack pickups and an EMG BTC preamp, so that might've been the reason. I still have the bass, but I never play it. When I tried to sell it a few years back, nobody wanted it because it's pretty worn. More valuable to me as a good memory of my college days.

16. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    So you were happier with the Fender J than with the Hamer? Maybe I shouldn't give up on Fender just yet.

I'v heard several people say the Cruise 5 is really nice except for the low mids. I've got an outboard preamp that seems to help my Cruise 4 out a lot. Hopefully, it'd have the same effect on the 5...

17. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Stingray :D

18. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Aw, damnit! I was trying to stay focused with this thread -- and my latest bout with GAS. Although, Stingrays are kind of Jazz-like, I guess :rolleyes:, and I didn't mind the one I played previously. Hmmm...

19. Out of the three, I'm happiest with the Houser. But if you want a Fender, I've got an FMT 5 for just a bit more than a thou. Brand new condition!

20. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I own a Fender 4 string and a Reverend 4 string but my five is a Peavey Millennium. Great tones, fine fit and finish, 35" scale, strings-thru-body, excellent B string. Have you checked one out? I picked it over a Stingray 5. :cool: