FENDER ROAD WORN JAZZ BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdown3, Aug 18, 2009.

1. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    I am about to buy a new Road Worn Jazz.....Has anybody bought one or played one?.....What can you guys tell me about them?......I play alot of blues as well as some jazz but 80% blues...................Anyways do you get that vintage tone out of it or not?I play a MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe with the active pups and I cant get the tone and even with my American Standard 08 I can not get the old vintage tone..Anyways give me your thoughts before I buy one.

2. Play one first. Any Guitar Center will have them up on the wall. I've played both the P and the J and they're nice basses. Feel very worn-in. Tone sounded very old school to me. I don't care for the colors they come in, but that's me. They do feel nice.

3. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... played one recently down at my LMS... very nice. Certainly nailed the old Jazz tone. Sounded a bit like my '62 before I messed with it.

At £940 I had to let it go although they also had a Squier CV Jazz which was pretty bloody near the mark also.

4. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    Great guys Iam thankfull for you alls time as well as thoughts.

5. Pedulla?

Pedulla?

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    I've played the p and the j, and I loved them both. And I'm not a Fender guy at all.

6. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Anyone who thinks the thin nitro paint on the Road Worn improves the tone,gives it better vibe,but doesn't like the relic look, you may want to consider the fact the Highway One series uses the same thin nitro paint . It has been said by some that you get the same open resonant vibe with that thin Hwy 1 paint.

7. Photoman1969

Photoman1969

Jun 15, 2009
    Texas
    I've played one. It was very nice. Light. Clean tone. Running the front pickup and using a pick got a great sound. If I was in the market for a J, the RW would be very high on the list just due to the light weight.

8. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Play one then look for it USED. New, on line or at GC is a *rip*.

9. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I have a couple of MIJ RI P bases, I love them,I am strictly a vintage look guy.I don't have the bread for the real thing and I am not sure if I would want a real 69 P Bass.

I have a RR Telecaster, It's the Yeloow one.Very cool.I love it

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Agreed

11. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    I read and called Guitar Center and yea they are up at $1249.00 BONES but I found a place in Colorado that has a moving sale and they have them new for $849.00 I cant find a used one for that price...So what I did I gave them a deposit for them to hold it for me till I play it next week,And if I dont I will get the deposit back he said.

12. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    there's one at the local L&M that is the nicest Fender Jazz I have ever played, including the truly old ones. Sounds great, plays like a dream.

Made in Mexico, $1200.00 Cdn. full retail. Really nice bass. You should go for it. But play it first - they do vary quite a bit.

Cheers,
    Cameron

13. lowdown3

lowdown3

Mar 22, 2008
    10-4

14. The only thing I didn't care for about it was the neck. Too wide for me. But otherwise, a very nice bass.

15. I just don't get the "vintage" or "antiqued" thing. Why would you want to buy something "new" that has artificially been made to look "old"? Why wouldn't you want to put your own dings in it? As far as tone goes, couldn't you basically get the same tone by saving a few bucks and getting a Standard P bass?

16. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Here we go...

:bag:

17. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Hard to believe that the J neck was too wide for you. The RW J I tried out had a nice small neck that felt remarkably close to my '65J neck. The tone was pretty authentic as well. Price was a little steep new, but I felt it played and felt great. If I was looking for a gigging alternative to my '65 I'd definitely consider one.

18. It just felt wide to me. Not sure why. I tried a bunch of basses today though, so I had a lot of them to compare.

19. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    I dig the Road Worn basses. I recently picked up a RW P in Fiesta Red and it's a great bass. Fantastic playability and tone. I use a Sadowsky outboard pre with it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021