Fender Road Worn

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by venturabass, Feb 10, 2009.

1. A similar thread was posted a few eeks ago and was closed. It did not have the answer I wanted to know, which is this:

Are there any differences between a regular Fender P-bass and a Road Worn P-bass besides the dents and scratches?
    :confused:

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The finish is supposedly nitro on the Road Worn.

3. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Ill find out in a hour or two, I doubt GC will have any of their basses but I'll try the guitars as I saw them last time I went.

4. I've looked at the Strats and Teles; the intent is to make them look like old American-made ones from the past, even though they are Mex. The decals on the headstock are NOT the same as current MIM.

Roger

5. So it's a relic version of the Highway 1 at a much higher price point? :confused:

Edit: Or was the Highway 1 MIA too? I've been out of the loop for a while. :meh:

6. The Highway 1 is a MIA.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The highway 1 is MIA.

The Roadworn strats I've seen looked pretty alright.

8. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I think he meant hardware wise, wood wise...

9. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    i was under the impression that the electronics are different, though i can't verify it, probably just read it here... :)

10. I just played a road-worn strat at the local music store, and it's fabulous. I'll let you know about the basses in the next couple of weeks.

By fabulous, I mean very broken-in feel, lightweight, crisp sound (moreso than your average MIM strat).

Differences? They're reissues. Meaning you're buying a MIM vintage bass that's been reliced, with all of the hardware, neck profile, logo, and other designs typical of a '60s jazz bass.

11. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    i just played a road worn jazz trhu a SVT at rainbow music in tucson, az. i thouhgt the finish was very fake looking but it was quite a player. the one i played was pretty light and sounded really hifi but good

12. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I've heard these are dinged up Mexican basses with American electronics?

I've alse heard that the "distressing" looks bad, like it was done via machine.

And why does the jazz bass not have a maple fretboard option?

13. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    My understanding is also that they are MIM but do have U.S. electronics. The relic jobs aren't that great from what I've seen. I can't see paying that much for a MIM instrument myself. Something about buying a brand new, worn bass doesn't compute with me. I would like to hear what some people who bought one have to say.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021