1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Fender Roadworn Precision with Lollar pickup.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by vlad335, Apr 24, 2019.

1. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Price:
    Strings:
    I don't play 4 strings at all anymore. Otherwise this wouldn't be going anywhere.

Purchased this new and installed a Lollar over wound P pickup and Obsidian harness. This harness is great. You can quick change pickups with no soldering. I have had a couple different PU's in this and the Lollar is my favorite.

Also added a celluloid relic WD Music PG and tugbar. Has DR flats installed. Weight is 8.2 pounds. Fender gig bag that came with it is included. Bass could use a setup and there is slight fret spout as I havent played it in a year.

750 shipped ConUS only. Paypal OK

EDIT: Added a trade option. 5 Strings only. Only 4 banger I would be interested in is a Rickenbacker. Thanks

20190424_171133_resized.jpg 20190424_171221_resized.jpg 20190424_171155_resized.jpg

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Pictures?

3. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Just uploaded from my phone.

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

I have a Road Worn P w/ an overwound Lollar in it, too, tort guard. I have a USA Fender Jazz neck on mine. Its a ridiculously great bass, especially "for the money." This one looks like a winner. GLWTS!

vlad335 likes this.
  5. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    They are awesome. If Fender made these in 5 string I would buy one today! Wouldn't even think about it.

The pickup that this bass came with was awful! I think I threw it in the garbage it was so bad! ( Can't find it in my pickup storage spot.)

As far as the Lollar, I have never used one of their pickups before. Not even sure why I bought it but with the Obsidian harness, it is super simple to swap out pickups. Takes longer to remove the pickguard. I tried a standard Duncan, a Duncan Antiquity II, a Curtis Novak, and a Bill Lawrence P-46. (may have been more, thats all I can remember off the top of my head.) The Lollar OW won hands down. I wished Jason made 5 String soapbars!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    These are great basses, I had mine up for sale a few weeks ago, I pulled it because I couldn’t part with it, the stock pickups are fine to me and I’m picky when it comes too pickups !
    GLWYS

vlad335 likes this.
  7. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Once you get a Lollar, nothing else will do IMO!

Cool bass!

vlad335 likes this.
  8. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Come to think of it, there may have been something wrong with the PU I had. Difference in output between EA strings and DG strings was significant among other things.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Kukulkan61 likes this.
  9. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    That's what I was thinking too. The p/u in mine sounds really good. I actually prefer it to the p/u in my Elite Precision and an American Pro I had. And it's very even sounding across all strings.

IMO these basses aren't just a great bass for the money. They're just a great bass period. I'd take mine over any P-bass that I've played or owned. It took me a while to get over the RW look but it's really helped me get over being a gear snob.

Great deal considering the upgrades. This bass will make someone very happy!

GLWTS

vlad335 likes this.
  10. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I played one of these in GC. I was blown away by how great it felt. I really don't need any new gear, but it's tempting. Do you have the original pickguard?

vlad335 likes this.
  11. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Yes, I could throw it in to the deal.

12. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    What about the Lollar pup sound stands out for you? And what styles of music are you playing where you've found it well suited. I put a Duncan SPB1 in a MIJ P and love that tone; records well too. I dig your bass and I've read the details on the Lollar web site, and some TB discussions, though any info you can add would help. Thanks

vlad335 likes this.
  13. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I am not good at describing tone but I would say the Lollar has a certain depth and presence to it that none of the other pickups have. Very fat sounding but not boomy or muddy while retaining that P-bass hollow grind at the same time.

I play in a Country/Classic rock band and this bass was perfect. Which a great sounding P-bass will work in every situation.

Also, I play in a fun studio project that doesn't play out by choice. One day I was messing around with the intro to Boz Scagg's Lowdown. Everyone in the band was blown away. "Hey, that sounds exactly like it!" We have been covering that song since then

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Jason Hollar and Ken Lloyd like this.
  14. panic_striken

panic_striken

Oct 13, 2005
    So no trades on a 4 even if it's a rare short scale.

15. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Sorry, need the cash.

16. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Posted this nearly 2 weeks ago and have gotten exactly 2 PM's about this bass in that time. Don't know if it's overpriced or what but I think it's time to post this up on Reverb and Ebay. Love to sell it on talkbass but it is not like it was a couple years ago.

17. FlexPete

FlexPete Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    Know how you feel, sign of the times. Hang in there.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    vlad335 likes this.
  18. vlad335

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Wow. Reading my post I realize it was quite whiny. Sorry about that.

19. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Keep the faith, brother, there’s someone out there who can’t live without this. It’s a great bass but a soft market.

TN WOODMAN and vlad335 like this.
  20. I'm interested in this bass. I play Jazz 5's (Sadowsky & Valenti), but am also looking to add that Classic Fender P bass to my arsenal. Is this an American Special or an American Highway bass? Just wondering because I like the look of the nitro body over the lacquer finish.

You have a couple of pics of the headstock?