Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GRoberts, Jul 20, 2004.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I checked out a Roscoe Beck Fender while killing time at a local bass shop. It was *very impressive* for a passive bass! It was punchy, full and deep on the low-end and had a very nice top end sound. I liked it better than any other 5 string Fender bass I checked out; FMT, Marcus Miller etc.

The only thing that kept me from snatching it up was that the B string did not have the same brilliance and tonality as the E string, or the other strings for that matter. The Strings appeared to be close to new and felt clean.

Is a dull, thumpy B string characteristic for Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string basses, or do you think maybe the B string was just a little dead?

Do B strings go dead faster than other strings? Could this account for it? Thanks! - Gary

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The B string on mine is fine. You really can't judge a bass with the store strings on it ... you don't know what they've been through.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, what Munji said. I've never had any issues with the B on an RB5

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Mine is fine also.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep - I owned one of these and it was far and away the best Fender 5 - but as others have said, it was much better when I had changed the stock strings for a set of D'Addario Slowounds! :)

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Was the LB round or tapperwound?? or maybe the string was too close to the pickup and the others werent.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Same here. And IME, thicker strings die faster... so yes, the B string does die first.

FWIW, I use Labella Hard Rockin' Steels on one RB5. They're the same strings Roscoe Beck himself uses. The B and E strings are tapered and I believe this helps.

I have TI Jazz Flats on my other one. Talk about your vintage tones!

I prefer the series mode settings because they sound phattest. The single-coil and parallel settings sound great too.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's a point - I remember that the B string sounded better when it was strung through the body and using super long strings with a tapered B worked the best for this.

I did notice an improvement on the B string with this kind of string, though the body - maybe due to getting the B closer to the pickups, the break angle, or maybe just a longer string ....?

9. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The B string was a standard roundwound, with no Taper at the bridge. You guys might be on to something. I was truly impressed with the bass otherwise. And it was used, so I can pick it up for around $795. Hard to beat that! - Gary

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    $795??? What are you waiting for man! Buy that puppy and a fresh set of LaBellas now!!!

r

11. GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    So that's a pretty good deal huh? I am tempted. I suppose I could always get my money out of it if not happy. The bass sure had nice punchy mojo.

12. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    That is a pretty good price, B string on my RB5 is fine btw.