Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender roscoe beck 5 versus stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Jun 9, 2002.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    which is the better 5 string?

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    My choice is the Roscoe Beck. The MM may be a better choice for you. They are both fine instruments.

Chuck

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    they're both great instruments but one thng thats gonna change your mind drastically..

Roscoe Beck has a huge huge neck. Even the reviewer from the BassPlayer Magazine said his wrist killed after 30 minutes of play..

4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Roscoe Beck does have a meaty neck, however, it works fine for my little hands. Of course, YMMV.

Chuck

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    You tried them out? Give them a long play first tos ee if you like them or not

whichever way, you can't go wrong, they both great instruments

when you try the stingray5s out, MAKE sure to give them a good play before. Stingray5s tend to be a "Hit or Miss" deal.

Good Luck!

DM

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I loooove the Fender RB5. I own much fancier basses, but I play the RB5 as much as any of 'em. My hands are average size (maybe even a bit smaller), but playability was only an issue for me when I first got the RB5, and IMO that was only because it was my first five. By the time I was through with my transition from 4 to 5 strings, hand fatigue was no longer an issue.

Note that the RB5 has low output even for a passive bass. However this should not be a problem for anyone with a bass amp of good quality.

I love the Stingray 5 tone, but the string spacing is too narrow for me both at the nut and at the bridge. If Ernie Ball would get off their collective butt and offer a standard-spaced Stingray 5 I would buy one! I'm bummed that they don't.

7. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Two Very Fine 5 strings The RB5 is in my opinion the best 5 string Fender out their but I too found the neck was little wide for my taste. I ended up with the Stingray5 . You can not go wrong with either.