Fender Roscoe Beck bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Feb 14, 2002.

1. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I was wondering if any of you have tried this bass. If so give me some reviews on it. Thank you, and a place where I can find them to buy online. And the specs if you know them.
  2. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Im very curiouse about this bass too. If you could post the layout for the pups and the electronics of the bass too that would be great.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ah, the bass so nice I bought it twice. Let's see: 1-7/8" width at nut, 3/4" string spacing at bridge (like Fender Jazz but with 5 strings, not 4). Master volume, 3-way pup toggle switch, master tone w/push-pull switch that reduces the volume of the neck pup (adds more growl when both pups on). Two 3-way mini-toggles, one for each pickup, settings as follows: parallel mode, single-coil mode, series mode. Incredible array of tones for a passive bass.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's a good 'un. Alder body and pau ferro fingerboard give it a very balanced tone; Like Beck himself it's well suited to many types of music. Online prices from music123, musician's friend, etc. are $1250. If you try your local Mom & Pop, you can drive it down to $1100.

Scuttlebutt is that they've been discontinued, or are in danger of being discontinued. Further scuttlebutt is that there's a Roscoe Beck Mark II in the works. I have no details as to what's changed, but you may want to wait to see what Fender does. (I really hope they don't put in an active preamp.)
  5. I've also got one. IMHO it's the best passive 5-string bass you can buy, especially when you factor in it's price. It's also better than many active 5-strings. It's versatility is tremendous.

You can go to the Fender webb site and down load the specs, wiring diagrams, switching diagrams, parts lists, just about all the technical info you could want.

Yes, the scuttlebut is that this particular model is being discontinued because, according to Roscoe Beck himself, there is a Roscoe Beck V v2 coming at the summer '02 NAMM. He won't reveal any details. As side note, he also alluded to a Roscoe Beck IV being released.

If you search ebay, and be patient, you can find excellent used ones down in the $700 range, give or take.

Good Luck. If you buy one, you won't regret it.
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  7. Funny you should post this thread. I'm thinking about this bass as well. If any of you guys have one for sale let me know.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's one. Bitchen.

9. I owned a Shoreline Gold Beck and didn't like it. It was a great player but I felt the output was too weak. I couldn't get much bite out of it and believe me I tried everything I could think of except run it through an external preamp.

If the new version is active or has higher output pickups, I'm interested.
  10. Who's Roscoe Beck anyway?