Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Roscoe Beck IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by main_sale, Jun 17, 2005.

1. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Back in March of 2004 (last year!) I ordered a RB4. It just shipped this week, 14 months later! I hope its worth the wait.

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Congratulations! Be sure when you get it to check intonation right away, especially on the E and A strings. Some have had problems with insufficient adjustment available to properly intonate those strings.

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Thanks for the tip!

4. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Well, I finally got my Honeyburst and rosewood RB4 after a 14 month wait. UPS destroyed the case but the bass survived. It does sound great but the body is made up of three pieces. I was surprised as I thought a "Signature" bass would have been of higher quality. I guess I'm disappointed with Fender about this.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's why I always buy solid-colored Fenders these days.

6. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    ive owned some boutique basses with multi wood bodies so it doesnt imply quality, although Fenders arent boutique. i wonder if you have played a RB5, and how the RB4 compares?

7. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I came very close to grabbing an RB5 a few months ago on a lark. Awesome bass, best 5-string Fender makes and nicer than the Musicman Stingray 5 I compared it with. I can only imagine the RB4 being as good. Best of luck!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about some pics? How obvious is the 3 piece?

9. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Why was the wait so unbelievably long?

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No pics = no bass.

11. Ever since it came out I have been curious about it, but I have heard so many horror stories about the Roscoe Beck IV.... anyway write a review please!!!

and pictures... :D

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've played a few RB IV's, first one was a year ago and it had the intonation issues Smash mentioned.

I've played two in the last month, and they didn't have the issue so maybe Fender have changed something or it was a bad first batch.

I like 'em a lot, the neck is a little more P like than I usually prefer. Sound wise, it's very similar to the RB5. Since some RBIV's have maple necks, you can get a slightly brighter sound.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I tried a used 2004 model a couple of weeks ago, and it had horrendous fret buzz all over the neck, and I didn't think the action was ridiculously low. (It may not have been tuned perfectly, but it can't have been too far off.) Having read Smash's thread and the travails of others, I stayed away.

If these problems relate to a design or construction flaw from an initial batch, I hope Fender corrects it, because I'd love an honest-to-Leo passive Fender with tonal flexibility approaching an active bass.

14. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I'll try to post some pics soon. I have some on my laptop. I have an RBV and agree that it is the bass sounding bass Fender makes. It has a one piece body. It is the reason I bought the RBIV. The RBIV also sounds wonderful, which is most important, but the build quality does not seem to be as good as the older RBIV. Together they make a great team!

15. tangobass

tangobass

Jan 15, 2005
    I read the roscoe 4 had lower quality than 5, mine is a sunburst 5 and have perfect intonation and an incredible sound, is one of the best quality fenders I play.Maybe the gotoh bridge makes the difference. :confused:

16. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I spent a little time with my RB4 today and it does sound great. I have not A/B it with my RB5 yet, but I will soon. I'm certain that it will compare very favorably. I'm delighted with it's tone.

17. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got photos in my computer now but I need to figure out how to edit them down to a size that talkbass will accept. When I do, I'll post them.

18. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.

*blinks*

19. www.irfanview.com

20. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have no idea why it took Fender 14 months to fill my order. Thanks for the info on infoview. I'll see if I can get the photos up soon. 3-piece body aside, it is a great sounding bass!