Fender Roscoe Beck or Peavey Cirrus 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alla, May 19, 2002.

Peavey Cirrus 6 or Fender Roscoe Beck 5

Poll closed Jun 23, 2003.
  1. Peavey Cirrus 6

54 vote(s)
  2. Fender Roscoe Beck 5

53 vote(s)
  3. Both (ehi calm down .... I don't have so much money)

5 vote(s)
  1. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Ok people I love both these basses.
    I've found them both in a shop for 1500 bucks.
    What would you choose?
  2. $1500 is way to much for an RB5. They are great basses, but there is a minty one in a shop near me for $775 used. I don't think you would want to pay much for than $1100 or so for one new.

3. Are you talking about Italy bucks?

The string spacings are very different in comparison, aren't they?

Go for the Roscoe Beck Five !!
  4. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Here in Italy 1500 dollars for these two basses is a goooooooood price :)
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, it's sort of old-school versus modern. The Fender would go well in most music, but if you play more fusion-oriented, progressive or really aggressive music, the brighter and deeper sound of the Cirrus might be preferred. Which Cirrus model is it? What kind of music do you play, or, what do you think you will play in the future?

I suppose any bass can fit into any kind of music, if you don't mind sounding a little "different". After all, it's really only musicians and recording engineers who care about the tone of a bass. Most of the listeners couldn't care less.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What Oysterman said: the Cirrus is new-school, the Roscoe Beck is old-school (but with a flexible rig that might not make a difference).

I would always go for the Roscoe Beck for it's standard string spacing. The Cirrus is too skinny for my playing style.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    These two basses don't seem to be in the same family, and are in fact, complementary.

Personally, I would go for the Cirrus 6 because of the woods, active electronics and neck through construction.
  9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Cirrus bridge does have adjustable string spacing. That being said, I still like the spacing on my Fenders better even after tweaking the bridge of my Cirrus.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Apples-to-oranges question. These two couldn't be much more different.

I had a Cirrus 5 and as someone who loves wide spacing it worked fine. So did the Cirrus 6's I've tried. The spacing is adjustable and I'd put it's playability and sound in the Ken Smith camp. It'll take a buttload of tweaking to make a RB5 sound like that and I don't think the RB5 is capable of being setup with as low an action as the Cirrus. The Cirrus is a fast bass (that doesn't mean you can't play fast on an RB5, it'll probably talke more effort).

The RB5 OTOH is more on the old school BASS bass kind of vibe. It's a bass that easily moves a ton of air and it would take a buttload of tweaking to make a Cirrus sound like it.

I look at the Cirrus as a finesse instrument and the RB5 as a bigger sounding pumper.
  11. What Brad says.;)
    So I voted both for the variety
  12. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I agree on the Cirrus' inability to move air without "subtle" tweaking (bass up full) and amp adjustment. All depends on the kind of music you are playing.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Forget to mention... I wouldn't know what to choose... I like both. Depends on what I was trying to do though I could easily use either.
  14. Roscoe Beck, just cause it looks cooler. If I can find a used one in CAR, my MIA P is gonna go, and my right leg if necessary
  15. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, as handy as EQ can be sometimes, it sure isn't magic. ;)
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The RB is the second best production Fender 5 ever made, right behind the new FMT Jazz V.

The Cirrus is the best production 6 ever made in the under $3000 range, IMHO. If you can handle the spacing, I would get the Cirrus.

But it's your money. What style of music are you going to play with it?
  17. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Yes, they are nice, but we're not talking about them right here, right now. ;)
  18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000