Fender Roscoe Beck Signature 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Mar 18, 2004.

1. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    I would like to have some advise from users and knowers of roscoe beck signature basses'.
    what about the neck...is it playable(fast jaco's things style)?
    and in the thousend configuration it has, can i still find the fender jazz sound or not ?
    i like this bass and it's possibility of sound but i still have the doubt above can you help me....???
    thank you for your replay.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The neck is huge by any standards (polyester finished to boot) and it's probably the main reason why people don't like it.

Its "basic" tone is Fender jazz. It can do other sounds but it is, for all intents and purposes, a better Jazz 5 than the Jazz 5. Note: output of the RB pickups is slightly lower than other Fender Jazz models to mimic the vintage sound.
  3. On the contrary, the neck on mine was very comfy - wide, but slim front-to-back. The gloss finish never bothered me. I found it very comparable in feel to the G&L L2500, the Stingray 5 and Lakland 55 series have narrower string spacing.

I got a great jazz sound out of mine, but the G&L offers much more varied tone.

Great bass and certainly the best Fender 5 still!

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yes, the neck is wide, but I found it comfortable to play. I bought mine when they first came out, and without reading anything about them. I played it in a store and fell in love with the feel of it. The great tone was a bonus.
  5. it's the single best peice of fender equipment that I've ever put my hands on!!! Yes it has a big neck, but it's actually very comfy (then again I have really big hands)...I used one in the studio back in October and it had dead strings on it, but it still sounded GREAT!!! I would love to hear one with some fresh strings on it...normally I can't stand anything that says fender on it...this is deffinately the exception!
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The neck isn't too big for a 5er, I don't have fatigue playing it or fretting chords n stuff with it although it is one inch shorter than my KSD and I did only play it live once and rehearse with it a few times (just got mine about a month or so ago), I got REALLY lucky, mine has a beautiful 3tone burst on the wood and the wood is very nicely figured. The pickups with everything on sounds a lot fuller than a regular jazz bass, and I love the options of choosing exactly which pickups I want on.
    *edit* The two pickups closes to the bridge on the doubles are positioned the same as a standard jazz I believe.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nothing a little 1000 grit sandpaper wont fix. :cool:

but i love the sound of the El Cpt. Scarlet's RB5. it is another take on the Fender jazz sound, but tonally, its as if someone added another 25 lbs. to the tone. has a weighty, bolder attack that i really dig.

didnt know you had a sunburst one, or a KSD! righteous.
  8. I have three of them. I have mentioned in a previous post that it's the correct bass for me. I sold a R Bass, MTD's, a G&L L2500, a Zon Sonus 5, a Spector, very nice U.S.A. Fender Precisions & Jazz basses, a Lakland, and other great basses and kept my Roscoe Beck 5. I now have the shoreline gold, a teal and the sunburst. I went through about sixty basses before I found this bass was a good match for my style and so forth. No other basses compares to them for me. My only wish for these basses would be that it would have been nice had it came with an active-passive option but using an Ampeg SVT Pro 4 or a Ampeg B4R supplies plenty of juice. The necks are perfect for me but very slightly different as far as roundness goes and the tones are plentiful. I am planning to get the red bass which is the last of the four colors option as soon as I can find/afford it.

I say :hyper: to them.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own two RB5's, and play them as often as any of my fancier basses (which include MTD USA and Lull). 'Nuff said? :)