Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Roscoe Beck V for slapping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lenko, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Any slappers using Roscoe's sig axe? How does it sound? How does it feel? Would you prefer Marcus Miller V?

2. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Bump.;)
    Let's hear it, guys! I know there are a couple of FRB players here.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Marcus Miller 5, but I couldn't be happier with the RB5. I'm no hot-shot slapper but I do a little, and the RB5 has fantastic tone and playability for it.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

5. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Bruce,

I'm listening to your track now and I'm loving it. Sweet vocals.

6. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I happen to do some slapping and I am very impressed with the sound that came out of this RB5, I have a candy apple red one, and it has that FAT FENDER SOUND for slappling with the three way pickup selector like switch set to center mode and the three way toggle pickup mode switch (one for each pickup) set to to parallel, I have not tried the MM5, bUT I do have a MM4 with a u-retro, and the RB5 can hold its on,
    if someone told me they could not find my MM4,
    so you will just have to play the RB5 for your slap stuff, I would not be disapointed AT ALL!

FWIW, I think a outboard preamp may be helpful
    :bassist:
    but not a must:D

7. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    a bass teacher i met uses one, and it had a nice slap tone. I didn't hear it that much, but it had no trouble producing a nice slap tone.

8. I've seen Michel Alibo(SIXUN -French/world jazz fusion)playing the RB5 with Cheb Mami. Man, the RB5 is the perfect match for a big fat slap sound. Fingerstyle is awesome too...

:bassist: I wish I were Michel Alibo:bawl: :D

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think the string spacing on the RB5 is perfect for slapping! If you listen to old Marcus Miller albums [Lonnie Liston Smith etc.] from the 70's
    he just played his 77 jazz bass passive with everything full up....thats what the Rosce Beck V reminds me of:bassist:

10. Surely the most versatile passive 5 strings:bassist:

11. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    My slap chops are, well, up for debate mostly...

Regardless, thumbing an RB5 just plain rocks!!

I'll keep it!! :cool:

12. Bruce Lindfield

That's Monica, who's from Brazil - but hey, you were supposed to be listening to the bass tone!!

Only joking - thanks anyway!! ;)

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hey Bruce, that is a nice song! Sweet vocals! ;)

j/k. :p I'm normally not a fan of slapping at all, it tends to be used for it's own sake and gets to be too much, but that was really nice. Tasteful. [​IMG]

14. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I realy liked the tone the RB5 had for slapping, but I'm a smaller guy and I found the string spacing on it rather awkward = w-i-d-e. I find the spacing on a 'regular' P bass fine, but to me, the RB5 had that same spacing with 5 strings on a wider neck! It just didn't make it lightning-fast for me.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I think it is precisely the wide string spacing that is needed for slap - well the 'pop' part anyway - so most people mean slap/pop when they say slap and to get a really satisfying pop you need to get your fingers under the string.

If the spacing is too narrow then I find I can't do this and so wider spacing is an essential requirement for a good slap/pop sound.

16. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    Hey, Bruce, great bass playing! Do you have any more files? I'm finding RB5 to be a good upgrade and am looking into more on this bass. Later.

17. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Man Bruce, i don't know why (besides the rock solid bass line) but i LOVE that song! Very solid sound. Keep up the good work man.

18. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    among so many RB5 owners is there anybody who happened to record it while clean (slap/fingerstyle) and have a wave or mp3 to share? thanks

19. Bruce,

That song is great, do you have an album? I'm having a GAS attack listening to the RB5.

IIRC, the RB5 has a wider string spacing than the Marcus Miller V, making it more suitable for slap.

:)

20. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    in the end?

wich one...a friend of mine work in ensenada and they get a discount and i am seriusly consider the marcus 5, the RB5 and the FMT deluxe

so....wich one?

i mean for slap...