Fender Roscoe Beck V - Pickups volume balancing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lancillotto, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Lancillotto

Lancillotto

Jul 15, 2004
    Hello, unfortunately I have a problem that I cannot solve on my RB5.

On both pickups the sound has a much lower volume on the upper strings and much higher on the lower strings.

I tried to lower the height on the low side, and to increase it on the high side.

It is slightly improved, but I cannot get a uniform volume.

Furthermore, since the pickup compartment is very "precise", tightening the screws on the lower side inevitably lowers the pickup on the upper side as well.

How can I solve this problem?

Many thanks!

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Can you measure the string height above the pickups? That can help us understand if you're at a reasonable height or there may be more serious problems going on.

In terms of the pickups being too tight in the cavities - that's nothing that can't be fixed with a little sandpaper most times, if you're confident enough to have a go at it. Pickup shells are usually slightly tapered so often it's just a matter of sanding the very bottom perimeter of the case, down where it won't be seen anyways.

3. precijazz

precijazz I want a name when I lose.

Aug 31, 2011
    Almanya
    How is the bridge of your RB5 set up, especially the string spacing? If it’s set to regular spacing, all strings should be centered between the pickup’s pole pieces.

Wegen I got my RB5 I toyed around with the string spacing and found that changing (narrowing) it caused weird sound effects, so I went back to dead center.

4. Lancillotto

Lancillotto

Jul 15, 2004
    Parameters:
    • Strings D'Addario EXL220-5 : 40, 60, 75, 95, 125
    • Neck:
      • Radius 9,5"
      • Strings spacing: 19 mm
    • String-Pickup spacing (pressed at last fret) in mm:
      • Bridge pickup:
        • G: 2
        • D: 2,55
        • A: 2,65
        • E: 2,7
        • B: 2,55
      • Neck Pickup:
        • G: 2
        • D: 2,55
        • A: 2,65
        • E: 2,7
        • B: 2,55

Attached Files:

5. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    You're in the right range but the bass side could go higher.

Did you mean to attach a recording? It looks like you attached screen shots of a recording.

precijazz likes this.
  6. Lancillotto

Lancillotto

Jul 15, 2004
    SUre, I attached a recording for each PU for each strings.

Do you thnk the ranges are correct?