Fender Roscoe Beck V vs Sadowsky Metro5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MauroScaparro, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Fender RB V

80.5%
  2. Sadowsky Metro5

19.5%
  1. MauroScaparro

MauroScaparro

Feb 1, 2017
    Hi talkbass, this post is to know your opinion on wich of both basses is better.
    Fender Roscoe Beck V 98' shoreline gold alder/paoferro
    Sadowsky Metro5 natural ash/maple.
    Im the owner of the fender and i ve been offered a trade for the sadowsky.
    I need a 5 string jazz that can carry any task or resolver pretty much any situation.
    Both are fine, light, high quality basses, but any ideas about one or another being better?
    I read you, thank you!

Mr_O'B likes this.
  2. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    I would have tough time choosing, if the choice was straight up. They are both awesome basses.

The Roscoe Beck's are getting to be rare beasts, and you may have traders regret for letting it go.

Root 5, Ace Of Bass, 31HZ and 8 others like this.
  3. Keep the Roscoe Beck V...! You'll be glad you did. ;)

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You have a LIGHT Roscoe Beck V????

How light?

5. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Keep your Roscoe Beck.

You can always get a new Sadowsky Metro.

6. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Having owned and gigged both, I vote keeping the RB5.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There are two sorts of responses, I believe. Those with an to collecting say get the RBV, those thinking about primarily a gigging workhorse are probably thing Sadowsky. The irony is that the RBV was designed to be a gigging workhorse, but they are now rare, and do you really want a rare base to be your workhorse?

Root 5, dralionux, wmmj and 1 other person like this.
  8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yeah but why trade straight across a more valuable collectors bass for a readily available workhorse?

I say keep the Fender. And I usually don't plump for Fenders.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are right, as I often do on TB, I read the post too quickly.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    lowdownthump and Lackey like this.
  10. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    They aren’t making any more RB V’s ;)

M.R. Ogle and lowdownthump like this.
  11. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Keep the Fender RB, you will regret it.

Just a suggestion! Try a Squier Contemporary Active Jazz 5. It just might amaze you how good they sound, and it's quality. All for about 1/8 the price of the Sadowsky

12. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    If you can handle the size, the RB Five is simply the best 5-string Fender ever made, or ever will make. Nothing wrong with a Metro, but for me it's the RB all day, every day.

Jugghaid, Root 5, Ace Of Bass and 3 others like this.
  13. This is a great question. I've never played a RB bass but I've always been curious. My main basses are a Sadowsky NYC 5 and Metro 4. To me they both seem to be attempting the same thing, a modern update to the classic fender vibe with a little more, but arriving at it completely differently. I would think that the weight and girth would be the deciding factor to me. By all accounts the RB basses are heavy and the necks are rather large but still comfortable. Sadowsky tends to be light weight and the body is smaller than a traditional jazz so it feels sleek. My NYC weighs 7.8lbs and my Metro just a little over 8. It would take a while for me to warm up to a 10 pound bass these days.

With all of that said I would love to add an RB to my collection and they aren't making any more of them. Considering you already have the RB, my talk bass approved answer is...both

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since I misread the original post, I say that I strongly favor keeping the RBV. I say use it, but save for a Sadowsky since the RBV is rare and borderline vintage.

lowdownthump, HeavyJazz and Lackey like this.
  15. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Michigan
    I much prefer the Sadowsky but I would never trade a rare Fender RB 5 to get one especially if you have a RB less than 10 lbs!
    I use my Sadowsky basses exclusively for recording and in ear situations and my Fenders for live performances.
    I have 2 Sadowsky’s and 4 Fenders.
    Don’t sell your lightweight RB ……….

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    lowdownthump likes this.
  16. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    Western Hemisphere
    Is the Sadowsky active? I'm partial to passive instruments so...

17. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I own a Sadowsky Metro RV5, they are fantastic basses, but I don't understand why the RB doesn't tick all the boxes you mention.

I would suggest anyone owning either of these basses you should keep it. IMO both basses will do the best job and neither will outperform the other.

18. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I might have missed it, but is there a reason the RB doesn’t work for those situations for you? Is the collectible nature of the RB of any concern to you? Or do you have any attachment to it? If not, and you just want to see if you like the sadowsky better, I would find a way to play one in person back to back with your bass. Those fenders get a lot of praise on here, but if it’s just another bass to you, no problem with trading it for something you like more.

19. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    The Fender is a great bass. But a Sadowsky is a Sadowsky. I mean you have a Fender bass with the fantastic preamp and lighter bass.
    I have played Fender basses for a very long time, but since a own some Sadowsky basses, all my Fender were gone.
    Sadowsky is among the best basses you can find.

20. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Yes they are. With also a preamp bypass