Fender Roscoe Beck V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by White_Knight, Oct 30, 2000.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Ok, I've done a search and from what I've read here and on the Bass Gear Review page, it seems that the Reosoe Beck V is an extremely nice bass. Overall, it sounds like it has a good nice tight B string and lots of tonal options while retaining a lot of the characteristics of the Fender Jazz Bass. My main question is: how's the string action on these? I haven't gotten a chance to play one yet, but I'm wondering how the action is: I'm not looking for anything super insanely low here, just plenty of flexibility for height adjustments. See, my current bass has a rising tongue on it's fretboard, which is forcing me to have insanely high action for the moment, and I'd obviously like to get back to a more normal action (it's about time for a new bass anyway). I was just recently able to play a Fender mid-70's P-bass that had the lowest action that I've ever seen on a bass - you barely had to press the strings down (at least compared to the action on my current bass) and I've been told the bass had the factory action. At any rate, to make my long post short: has anyone had any problems with having a low-enough action (as compared to other Fender basses) on the Roscoe Beck V? Anything else that I should know before I consider buying one? Right now, I seems like a good compromise between a Jazz bass and a 5 stringer (yes, I know that there are 5 string jazz basses, but I like the idea of having the humbuckers on the Roscoe: lots of sounds to play with). Anyway, sorry for the long post and any replies will be greatly appreciated.
  2. Hey, WK :)

As a happy RB5 owner, the action/setup is very flexible. Mine is medium-low, but it was set up lower than that when I got it and played very nicely; I just like it a bit higher cuz I don't like buzz and prefer the stronger tone. But, my action is still pretty low and it's an easy play to say the least. You really can't go wrong with this bass, and it's very set-up friendly. The Gotoh bridge is really nice and easy to work with.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You could also look at my review on the main page. I think I mentioned that I managed to get a really low action by tweaking the truss rod - it took a while to get it like this - a quarter turn every few days - but I managed to get a fairly flat neck and then lower the action. It was certainly better in this respect than any other Fenders I've tried - as has been said - a very nice bridge. I did still feel that I couldn't get it quite as low as on a neck-through bass, but it was certainly a nice neck to play. It might be worth looking around though, as people mentioned on the Fender discussion page, that the neck profile was slightly different on individual basses or it may have been production runs.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There shouldn't be any problem adjusting the action on an RB5; just make sure you're comfortable with the neck. While the string spacing isn't any worse than, say, a Yamaha TRB5, I found the neck a little too thick--front to back--for comfort.
  5. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    Thanks all. As some of you might remember, I was looking into getting a fretless awhile back, so now I'm between the Fender American Series Fretless and the Fender Roscoe Beck. Now all I have to do is find a shop that has both for me to try out.

Another question for you: what's about the average going price for these? Musician's Friend is selling them at a bit over $1200, is that a good price? They don't seem to be all that popular as I'm having a hard time finding one locally.

And one more: are there replacement parts available for these? What I mean to say is, if I break the neck or something like that (pickup, tuner, etc.), can I buy a replacement from Fender? One of the things that I love about the J-bass and P-bass is the huge availabilty of parts for them, and while I know that there isn't that same huge availability for the Roscoe, I just need to know that if I break something I hopefully won't have to buy another entire bass.

[Edited by White_Knight on 10-31-2000 at 03:46 PM]
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Is there a Fretless version of the RB?

Will C.:cool:
  7. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    If there was a fretless version of the RB5, then that would definitely fit my bill perfectly. Anyone know?
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You could just buy the "Jaco Pastorius How to De-fret Your Bass" book. Seriously, John DiMaggio over at Bass Alone says he will defret your bass for $100. Not bad, eh?
  9. No, Fender doesn't make a fretless RB yet.
  10. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    $100 to defret a bass! That's it!? Dang, that is pretty cheap.
  11. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I recently played an RB5 for the first time. All I can say is if I had the money to buy it, I would get it. I like the dual humbuckers and the string spacing is perfect. I expected my hands wouldn't be big enough for the neck, but I had no problems with that. It's a wonderfully looking and sounding bass, and if I had the resources to get one I would in a second.

12. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    WK,you should have no trouble finding one new WHSC for around 900-1000.MF's prices tend to be a bit high.Thats what they sell for in my area which is only small shops.You'll love it!!!Good luck!
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This was why I mentioned about the different neck profiles - I was actually suprised at how flat the neck was on the RB5 that I found, as previous Fenders I had tried had had the problem for me of being too thick front to back - the RB5 was the first Fender that I found that wasn't a problem in this respect! I mentioned this on the FDP and it does turn out that the necks are different, so the only thing is to try as many as you can until you find the one that suits you.
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I've played an RB5 and the action was great. Just like any other Fender's.

Will C.:cool:
  15. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    It's good to hear that the Roscoe is such a good bass. Before I even knew anything about it at all, I knew just from the picture that I had to had it - it's one of the few basses that I personally really like the "look" of.
  16. Me, too. It's a thrill every time I open that tweed case and see that beautiful sunburst RB lying in it's gold, cush bed ;)
  17. I'd also like to add that I tried it in "P-bass Mode" today, and even recorded with it like this and it was simply outstanding! P mode is solo neck PU in series, adjust tone to your liking. LOTS of good P bark and rumble.
    NOT a perfect P-bass clone, but damn close....
  18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I stopped by MARS last night and they had a used RB5 for $1400. Where's my checkbook;)

A local store was blowing out several new RB5's for ~$850.
  19. A USED RB5 for 1400? Golly, that's a deal :p

I can't believe they had the nerve to actually sign it for that amount...

Gee, Brad, you should have just pounced on it for that ;)
  20. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Oh that bass
    I've seen it once in a shop and I was searching for a new bass (I had a Ibanez ergodyne 5 string .... you know ... not just a big sound and a bad b string ) . I didn't have the money to buy it ... so I bought "only" my Fender Jazz Bass 4 standard 4 string . The string and the action in that Roscoe was like put your finger in butter tough it was new and never played
    I love it :) almost like the Peavey Cirrus 6 :)