Fender roscoe beck Vs Music man stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, May 14, 2004.

1. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    i 'm thinking to buy a new bass any suggestion on the two bass i mentioned (fender roscoe beck .....music man stingray)
    please help....... :hyper:
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's a bit of an apples and orange comparison, both great basses.
    Rb5 - passive, 5 string, switching options up the wazzoo. wide string spacing.
    SR5 - active. 5 string, 3(?) pickup options, eq. narrower string spacing I believe.

What features are more important to you? i.e. onboard eq, wide string spacing?

You could easily have both of them in your collection. Given I already have a few active basses, right now I would choose the RB5 for my needs.

edit: I just saw you started another thread a couple days back on the exact same topic????? Why not just bump that one
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I tried a Roscoe Beck 5 when I was looking for my first bass. The only issue I had with it was what I felt was a really wide fretboard. I mean that thing was like a skateboard with strings on it. I got the SR5. The SR5's neck is nice and slim. Feels like a four string neck to me.

BTW the SR5 is more like a Sterling than a Stingray.
    Same slim neck, pick up switching and 3 band eq standard.
  4. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    This is a win, win situation for you as both basses are excellent. I own both and they are both "Keepers". I favor the passive warm tones of the RB5, for that reason, if I could only have one, I would favor the RB5, but only just.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own an RB5. It's my #1 bass in terms of playing time.

The SR5 is also a cool bass. The only reason I don't own one is the narrow string spacing (both ends).
  6. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
  7. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thats the first negative comment I have come across regarding the Sterling. What don't you like about them?