Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender roscoe beck Vs Music man stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, May 14, 2004.

1. pools

pools

Feb 28, 2004
    i 'm thinking to buy a new bass any suggestion on the two bass i mentioned (fender roscoe beck .....music man stingray)
    please help....... :hyper:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It's a bit of an apples and orange comparison, both great basses.
    Rb5 - passive, 5 string, switching options up the wazzoo. wide string spacing.
    SR5 - active. 5 string, 3(?) pickup options, eq. narrower string spacing I believe.

What features are more important to you? i.e. onboard eq, wide string spacing?

You could easily have both of them in your collection. Given I already have a few active basses, right now I would choose the RB5 for my needs.

edit: I just saw you started another thread a couple days back on the exact same topic????? Why not just bump that one

3. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Buy a Sterling ;)

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I tried a Roscoe Beck 5 when I was looking for my first bass. The only issue I had with it was what I felt was a really wide fretboard. I mean that thing was like a skateboard with strings on it. I got the SR5. The SR5's neck is nice and slim. Feels like a four string neck to me.

BTW the SR5 is more like a Sterling than a Stingray.
    Same slim neck, pick up switching and 3 band eq standard.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    This is a win, win situation for you as both basses are excellent. I own both and they are both "Keepers". I favor the passive warm tones of the RB5, for that reason, if I could only have one, I would favor the RB5, but only just.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own an RB5. It's my #1 bass in terms of playing time.

The SR5 is also a cool bass. The only reason I don't own one is the narrow string spacing (both ends).

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    NOT ONLY NO,BUT HELL NO ! :mad:

8. birdsg

birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thats the first negative comment I have come across regarding the Sterling. What don't you like about them?

Steve