fender roscoe beck Vs stingray 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pools, Apr 26, 2004.

1. pools

Feb 28, 2004
    I would like to have some advise
    which should i have to buy?
    i know it's a crap question but i need help i am so confused!!!
    pleaseeee help me!!!!! :crying:
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender Roscoe Beck V: passive bass which offers a wide variety of traditional Fender-style tones. Has a wider neck and string spacing than the Music Man.

Music Man Stingray 5: active bass (built-in equalizer, requires battery) which generally speaking has a more modern sound (more top-end sizzle), but can be made to sound traditional too. It has a narrow neck and string spacing.

I like both basses a lot. I chose the Fender RB5 simply because I don't care for narrow string spacing. Your taste and selection criteria may vary!
  3. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I don't like musicman basses. Unimpressed with everything from an OLP to the higher end Stingrays.

Go for the Roscoe Beck. Funny looking, but I liked the tone when I heard it.
  4. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    The RB5 is a better overall bass than the SR5 IMHO.To me the one place that the SR5 may have and edge on RB5 is the construction but other than that there's not a lot to the SR5 but a bass that makes a lot noise.
  5. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I find Stingrays hard to play because of the pickup position (I rarely slap, I rest my thumb on the PU and play fingerstyle). I like its tone though.

The RB5 feels like my Ibanez BTB405, just with a slower and bulkier neck. Very fat and dull sound, if that's what you're looking for.

6. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... :mad:
  7. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    it is heavy the ray 5, but oh so ass whoopin in its tone. the only reason I dont play mine more is the weight factor but other then that I LOVE mine. Built like a tank and despite being labeled a one trick pony I am able to coak many a tone out of the monster. I really like the ash body and the maple neck...IMHO. Stringrays have a naturally compressed tone and the ash I think gives it a tad more sparkle. Of course all of this can be realative to the user. :D The B through my SVT will crack sheetrock.... and keep those pesky mesa dual rectifiers at bay. BTW, is it just me or are guitar players LOUDER then they have ever been? :smug:
    Yea baby keeping the funk alive on the freemont for another hundred years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Get a nice, wide, padded strap. It helps out with the weight thing immensely.

Look on the bright side, it's not a Peavey T40!
  9. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Thanks for advice.. will run down to Portland Music and pick up new strap. The leather one I have on it is pretty lame I must admit.
  10. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    The RB5 is definately more versatile than the SR5, the passive/active thing doesn't really bother me that much. The deciding factor for me was the tight string spacing on the Ray, don't really care for it.
  11. you should get a G&L L2500

and if you don't like that then go with the Roscoe Beck, I love stringray 4's but the 5's have too narrow of spacing for me.
  12. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    No one here can tell you which one to buy, only what they personally prefer. The RB is a great bass, but I have to take a bit of an issue with the SR detractors because none are objective.

Heavy? Sure, thats where the tone comes from.

Narrow string spacing? Sure. This is bad? Hardly.

Pickup position? I've come to rely on it being where it is.

Biased? Me? ;)

My SR5 is my current main player. What a great instrument.