1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 100 vs Orange crush 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by linkon97, Dec 14, 2016.

1. linkon97

linkon97

Oct 16, 2016
    Hi anyone knows any differences between this amps, and wich one is louder?

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Rumble 100 is the loudest combo in it's class.

3. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    rural New Mexico
    i have only heard the Fender. From a practical point of view, the Orange weighs more than twice as much as the Fender and costs nearly twice as much (in the US). Both have 100w amps, but the Orange has a 15 inch (in a box that is on the small side for a 15), while the Fender has a 12 inch (in a box that is adequate for many 12 inch drivers). The parametric mid control on the Orange is nice, but the fender has upper and lower mid controls that are well placed (frequency wise). It would be hard to second guess which is louder, but neither would likely be loud enough (and clean) to keep up with a drummer at practice. To do that, you would need to move up to the Rumble 200 (115) or the Orange OB1-300 (300w 115 with a box appropriate for a 15, but the weight to go with it).

btmpancake and Linnin like this.
  4. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Only this; If I'm going to pay twice the price for something it damn well better be worth it way beyond a shadow of a doubt- to me.

AstroSonic likes this.
  5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have used my 100 practicing with a 3 piece with no problems. I've also used it on gigs for stage monitor where we had FOH support.

gjohnson441496 likes this.
  6. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    rural New Mexico
    Which '100'?

There will always be a few players who are in an acoustic group, work with a quiet drummer or are in a group with no drummer. I've seen posts by people who use 108 combo's with FOH support, which I've no reason to doubt. But typically, a 100w combo is on the edge of being adequate for practice for a performing rock group. If that's all a person has to work with, then that's what you do. If you can afford a more capable rig, you're not likely to be disappointed that you spent more. :)

7. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Sorry, the Rumble. It really is a great little amp. I own 3 rumbles, a 25, a 100, and a 500 and a 2x10 extension for the 500. I can't speak for the Orange, I have no experience with them.

8. linkon97

linkon97

Oct 16, 2016
    so you have used it in gigs with pa support and it worked?

9. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yes. I put it on a kick back stand to make it easier for me to hear. The sound man plugged into the balanced line output. His mix was a bit muddy for my taste, but here is a clip from the show:

Kappytann likes this.
  10. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    Can't compare the two,,
    One is a lightweight modern class D amp at 10kg with a 12" speaker..
    THe other is typical old school class A/B with a huge transformer, meaty 15".. and 24.25kg... I have seen the inside of the crush 100 and it looks pretty solid..
    (5.30 into the video)

Also by the size of the caps, transformer and transistors I think the crush 100 is loud for the 100W rating and I am not sure how orange does it but it sounds pretty good pushed which is not a typical trademark of a solid state amp..
    It is better to compare the crush 100 to the Fender rumble 200,, That one has 140 class D watts into its internal 15" speaker and speaker line out so you can add another 8 ohm cab and get the full 200W output at 4 ohm..

A 15" bass combo shootout would be nice,, many contenders.. :)
    TC electronic BG250, Fender rumble 200, Hartke KB15, EBS Magni 500-115 (most expensive in that shoot out), Peavey max115, AMpeg BA115 V2, Markbass CMD JB Players School Combo, Ibanez P3115 Promethean Combo, Gallien Krueger MB115-II,
    All tested on a four string and a 5 string in a loud band scenario..

btmpancake likes this.
  11. I'd go with the Orange.

I had the Fender Rumble 200 for a couple of months but sold it and got the Orange Crush 50 a year after.
    The Fender Rumble is a good amp but its too transparent and clean for my taste with very little compression.
    The Orange on the other hand is more versatile and the volume output is excellent.

I suggest you try both and see which one matches your preferences.

12. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    I like the fact that orange just use good old class A/B and none of the digital amp moddeling on their guitar amps. The transistor guitsr crush pro series are workhorse amps. They make a 120W amp with heavy magnet 2x12 speakers. Loud enough for any gig.
    The First generation Vox ad50vt moddeling amp was pretty solid and loud. Those 50W were pretty strong. But the fact it was a closed-back 1x12 makes it hard to hear it on stage unless you can angle the 12" pointing to your ears

13. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    This, to me, is usually a good thing. :confused:

Anders Barfod and AstroSonic like this.
  14. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    I thought that you could always add that to a clean amp with the right pedal.. it is harder the other way around :)

15. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The 100 is quite capable. I can afford any amp I want. I usually gig with a v3 500c and a 2x10 extension.
    The 100 is also a v3. My band is 3 well seasoned pros that know you don't need to be painfully load for a rehearsal.
    If I'm using it as a stage monitor, I put it on a kick back stand and turn the volume to about 1. It is plenty of volume for that. The 500 is too much as it interferes with the FOH sound.

16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    WOW! I have that same setup, and have never found the need to use my 210 extension cab. I play in a few bands that all have hard hitting drummers.

17. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I like the extension because it adds a level of punch. I can feel the notes. My drummer is not a hard hitter, but he has a lot of finesse. But, I seldom have the master more than 9.

18. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I'm confused, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

19. Anders Barfod

Anders Barfod

Jan 16, 2015
    Agree

JACink likes this.
  20. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Ah, ok :D