1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 100 watts v3. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Don mata, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    Hi everybody!

I'm seriously thinking about buying an amp (I don't have a bass amp yet), so I can play at home and (I Hope) when I rehearse with my band. Thing is a guy is selling me a 100w Fender Rumble v3 so lots of questions came to my mind. I've been reading here and a lot of folks say this amp could not be enough to play with a band so I'm a little worried. My band has an old japanese Yamaha--> 100 watt amp and 15" (B100 I think with EQ). That thing sounds really loud but the amp is old and is getting noisy. DO you think this Fender rumble will be enough to be heard? Does it sound good? (becaue it looks amazing). is a 12" speaker enough to get the work done?

things to consider:
    *Sometimes we play loud but not that much(50% volume in the old Yamaha).
    *I wouldn't like a bigger amp since I play a lot at home and I'm saving money to buy a car, so I can't spend a lot on an amp! (wish me luck! :p). plus this amp is small and not really heavy!
    * My Bass is a Fender P bass Am. St. I use compressor and like to use OD and fuzz. Sometimes I use a Squier VM P bass and a LTD 5 strings.

Please help me, right now it's impossible for me to try this amp at the moment and I'd like to know your points of view.

Regards!

2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    The B100 was my first 'real' bass rig. I played many small club gigs with it. I also had the v3 100. I'd rather carry the fender but the Yamaha will outperform it. The 112 would be ok with a band in a small practice room at reasonable volumes but probably not giggable for rock.

Still got the Yamaha. It sits in the choir room for practice. Really nice but really heavy. Hits harder than any other 100 watt combo I've played.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    AstroSonic and Bassdirty like this.
  3. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'd say the 200w rumble would be minimal for gigging for me. If the 100w rumble is a great deal you might try it, but I'd say you will be frustrated by pushing it too hard.

My first bass amp was. Yamaha 115b. I think it was rated at 100 watts but not completely sure. I do know it was quite a bit louder that other 100 watt amps I've used. Yamaha always had good quality equipment in my eyes.

Bassdirty likes this.
  4. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    Thanks!

I'm not sure of I want the amp for gigging.. I mean, Every time I play I either use bigger amp (provided backline) or PA. This would be an amp for reshearsals with band and at home. My band isn't as loud as you might think. Well, I guess this is subjective. Our drums sound loud but the drumer can't stand loud drums so he tries to keep the volume as low as possible. The guitarrist uses a 20 watts all-tube amp (hell it sounds loud) but I guess not that loud as you think. So, my question is....can I fit here with a 100w 12" combo amp? (Fender rumble v3)?

Thanks in advance

5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    If you get it, see if you can get the receipt from the seller for the transfer of warranty.

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Hey @Don mata we don't know where you are from or what things cost where you are. Let us know as that can help you a whole lot.

Your friend has a used V3 Fender Rumble 100 combo he'd like to sell you. Lovely. What condition? How much money?

So try it out with your band. Sounds good? Is loud enough? If your 'friend' won't let you play it at band rehearsal, just say no thank you and walk away. If the amp is in good condition and he truly wants to sell, he'll bring it to you to audition. Anything less is a punk's scam.

Giffro, AstroSonic and BadExample like this.
  7. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I bought my Rumble 100 strictly for home use and the headphone jack and soon afterwards I met a guitarist and we have jam sessions at his home. We're playing metal and he is extremely loud but the Rumble 100 cuts through it with no problem. Haven't tried it against a drummer yet. I also like the fact that it's lightweight. Amp in one hand, guitar in the other, no problem.

8. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    The Rumble is light and can get quite loud. If you like it's tone, and you won't know that until you try it, then go for it if it is a good deal. But it is still a 100 W into 12", so there are limitations.

Giffro, Munjibunga and Linnin like this.
  9. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have this combo and it is a great amp! It gets pretty loud and the tone is great.

Jesse Claus, Giffro and Linnin like this.
  10. Don mata

Don mata

Jun 24, 2015
    thanks guys. At the moment I can't try the amp and this guy isnĀ“t my friend haha. I don't know what to do . I remember this time I rehearsed with 2 guitarrists and one drummer (not loud, they werent't my band) and I used a Hartke a70 (70 watts I assume, never checked) and it cut through at 1 (volume knob). I didn't like the tone!.
    As I said my band is kind of loud, or at least I consider it loud but we don't use giant amps to rehearse. Medium size amps and we're OK. I remember a guitarrist of my band using a cub8 (laney) with an external cab and cut through.
    Maybe if I tell you the guitar amps we use to rehearse it would be better. The amps are: Laney lionheart 20watts all tube and Marshal valvestate 80.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!!

11. The Rumble 100 V3 with a 12" won't do it. As suggested get the Rumble 200. Little more power and 15" speaker otta do it.

lomo likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Playing with a drummer, I would want at least 200 watts. But as others have said, tell him you need to try it to see if it is enough.

13. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Also, with the Rumble 200 you can add another cab later if needed.

14. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I own a100v3 and I love it, and I think it would work just fine for the type of rehearsal you describe. I agree that the 200 is better, but it really depends on how good of a deal you are getting on the 100v3. The thing is, the 100 is in a kind of no man's land. Almost too big for home practice, almost too small for rehearsal (and definitely gigging). So, if you are getting a killer deal, I still say go for it, you won't regret it. But if you are just buying it because it's available? Then maybe step back and reevaluate. If I was doing it over, I would probably try to get a rumble 40 for home and a 200 for practice (or just jump to the 500 if I planned to gig)

Bassdirty likes this.
  15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    A 100 watt 112 is not enough to play with a drummer unless he is either asleep, using brushes, or both.

himluis1 and pcake like this.
  16. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    i had one , loved the tone and portability. the amp is great for the right situation , i ended up getting a 200w combo with the 15" speaker and at least 40watts more . it was a better fot for my needs ... like a lot of other people are saying , if is a great deal you won't regret it , you just got to have the right expectations for what it can and what it can't do ...

17. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    I might agree except where he says he is already using an old 100 W amp, and it works! He only turns it to 5 when they "get loud", and it STILL works, he just doesn't like the tone. Given that, I am willing to bet that the 100v3 will work better than what he has now, and should give him a variety of tones to choose from. That's all.

gsgbass and lomo like this.
  18. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have a Rumble 100. It is one of 3 Rumbles I own, 25, 100, 500. I use the 100 for band practice, 3 piece in a garage. It is plenty loud. I've even used it for gigs with FOH support as a stage monitor.
    If you're strapped for cash, get the 100. It will do you until you want to gig clubs without FOH.
    Now, you need to go to the Fender Rumble Club thread in the Amps and Cabs forum and read information there. You will find over 700 happy Rumblers.
    Subliminal message follows:
    doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit

Giffro, GonePlaid, grrg63 and 2 others like this.
  19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    You have a good point. My thinking was that the combo he's using is known for punching above its' weight class......and for all we know, it might have a volume taper that puts out 98% of it's juice at "5". I can't advise what might well be spending good money after bad..........

Bassdirty likes this.
  20. Dale Griffith

Dale Griffith

Jun 6, 2016
    My best guess is that you could practice with it. In my oldies/classic rock group I practice with a Rumble 25. We practice in the BL's basement. We aren't playing softly but are comfortably loud for the space. For gigs I have several options for amps and cabs, lately using a Rumble 500 combo with or without an external Rumble 210 cab or a 115, but we never have a back line supplied and only rarely have PA support.

I think the 100 would handle your practices if you aren't crazy loud, but I'd want a 500 or 200 for gigs. Of course, if you always have PA and/or back line support, the 100 for practice may be all you need.