1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Rumble 15 repair

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marc61, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    I recently picked this up with a Squier bass on the cheap. Bass is fine, amp is not working. When I turn the amp on I hear noise (hiss) but, no sound when I plug in the bass. Cable has been tested with other amps. Any suggestions? Need additional pics? Is it worth it to try and repair?

Back. IMG_8199.JPG IMG_8201.JPG

2. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Looks like a V2. If it were me, I wouldn't waste too much time fussing with it unless I seriously needed it. In any case, ask around in here: Fender Rumble Club I'm sure one or two of them own the same amp.

Marc61 and G-Dog like this.
  3. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    IF your seller can give you the original receipt from his new purchase in late 2013, or early 2014, you MIGHT can call Fender Customer Service about the 5 year warranty and see what they can do. It's been discontinued about 4½ years, so they won't fix it. But, they do honor their warranty.

RobertUI and AstroSonic like this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That's an original 2003-2009 first generation Fender Rumble 15. A brand new V3 Rumble 15 is $80 shipped all day long. If you can get that repaired for $45-or $50, do it.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Does the unit have an Effects Loop? If yes try the old trick of linking the send and return with a signal cable.

RobertUI likes this.
  6. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area

I contacted them. No such luck. Called Fender Customer Service. Nothing they can do without the receipt. Seller's also don't recall where they bought it. That might have helped

7. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    Here you can see what happens as I turn the unit on and off.

Linnin likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    OK, that's a V1 Rumble 15. Get a schematic from Fender and find a competent electronics technician to trouble shoot and repair. A new Rumble 15 is $80 shipped.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. honestly, all I've got is maybe it's a connection somewhere, maybe cleaning the effects loop if there is one might help. maybe try listening to the headphone jack, as well if there is one, and clean that and your input jack too. I've heard of some using WD40 or contact cleaner, but while I'm sorta knowledgeable, I'm no expert, and I'd probably stick to contact cleaner. Maybe clean the pots, as well, just because they're there and it's open. Both your headphone jack and your effects loop if there is one are designed to bridge their connection if nothing is plugged in, so if something gunks up the jacks it can cut stuff up like that.

Other than that, maybe a faulty component somewhere, but everything is visibly clean - doesn't necessarily mean anything, but when troubleshooting it's best to try the simplest and cheapest thing first and start from there. That, right there, can save you a lot of cash.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Marc61 likes this.
  10. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Dispose-a-amp

Aqualung60 and dalkowski like this.
  11. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Sad, but true.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    WD-40 belongs nowhere near electronic equipment. Contact cleaner belongs nowhere near pots. Craig DeOxit only.

In this case it doesn't matter, though in the old days that would have been a $30 - $40 repair

pie_man_25, RobertUI and Marc61 like this.
  13. There's a fuse tucked in there somewhere. I've had a couple of Rumble 15's and both blew fuses. $2 fix.

Marc61 likes this.
  14. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    I’m looking for a fuse. If it was blown would it still power on as the video shows?

AstroSonic likes this.
  15. Classic case of me failing to read the full thread. Sorry, I assumed you had no power at all to the amp.

Apologies!

Marc61 likes this.
  16. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Did you try different outlets in your home, maybe you have a bad ground?

17. Not to be snarky, but as a former owner of these Rumbles and their Peavey equivalent, the value of the time you've already spent on this far exceeds the repair cost. #justsayin

18. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    yup.

save the box and maybe the speaker for some projects.

AstroSonic and dalkowski like this.
  19. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    I don't disagree except sometimes tinkering helps me learn and if it was some type of easy fix I would have tried to do it

dalkowski likes this.
  20. Marc61

Marc61 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    I don't believe the ground would have anything to do with the input. Still powers on. I tried anyway. Nothing

agedhorse likes this.