Fender Rumble 200 1-15 LOUD HISS with tweeter on...help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groshretro, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Groshretro

Groshretro

Jan 23, 2014
    Reno, NV
    After gig Fri, my Rumble 200 Combo started hissing loudly with tweeter on. I didnt overdrive it at all. Anyone know where to get a replacement tweeter or how to troubleshoot accurately? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you very much! Joe
    tel/text 510-909-9840
    email [email protected]

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Are you sure it's the tweeter that's bad?

A tweeter will reproduce whatever is sent to it, if the hiss is coming from elsewhere like I'm 99% sure it is, that's what you are really hearing.

Did your treble control get turned up by chance? Any pedals involved? Does it do this with nothing plugged into the amp!

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

@Groshretro please come on back with replies to the questions posted by @agedhorse. Perhaps the solution of your problem could help another player down the road. :)

Groshretro and agedhorse like this.
  4. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    If you do end up needing a new tweeter, they appear to be found on eBay. Search “Fender Rumble tweeter”.

Groshretro likes this.
  5. Groshretro

Groshretro

Jan 23, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Thank you very much for your reply. No, im not sure its the tweeter, I just guessed.. No pedals, treble flat, played with matching Fender 115 cab @ 8 ohms, only turned up halfway..used DI from amp to house, and YES its hisses with nothing plugged into it. Any ideas what it might be and need to be repaired? Thank you so much agedhorse!! Joe

6. Groshretro

Groshretro

Jan 23, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Thank you so much for the info...muc appreciated brother! Joe

7. Groshretro

Groshretro

Jan 23, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Tks Paul...done. Was offline for a few days...much appreciated sir! Joe

8. Groshretro

Groshretro

Jan 23, 2014
    Reno, NV
    PS Agedhorse: I forgot to mention that the noise goes away when I turn OFF the tweeter rocker switch...thats what made me think it was the tweeter. Thank you. Joe

9. Just a guess, rather than the tweeter itself, possibly the switch or crossover electronics? Personally, I would bypass the switch as a test.
    Oh, and the hiss did not come out of the extension cab, right?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's almost certainly not the switch, not the tweeter, not the crossover (though the crossover should be checked to be sure the tweeter pad network isn't damaged)

The next step IMO, is to compare it to another amp of exactly the same model to be sure that what you are hearing is not the same as a known good (i.e. benchmark) unit.

If your amp is still under warranty, this would be a good time to explain everything to the service center and have them evaluate and run some diagnostics based on what they see.

BassmanPaul and JPDsma like this.
  11. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Does the volume of the hiss vary with any of the amp controls?
    With the tweeter off can you hear a faint hiss from the main speaker?

agedhorse and JPDsma like this.
  12. Good questions.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021