1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 200 and 112 for Home

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigDrew, Jan 22, 2017.

1. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Hello all,

I have a Rumble 500 v3. I like it, but I started playing about 2 years ago and I play only at home. I play at a pretty low volume and I don't get a very thick tone at this volume. I happened to play a Rumble 500 head into a Rumble 112 cabinet and I thought that it sounded more full at a low volume. Am I crazy? For my needs, would a Rumble 200 head into a 112 be fuller at low volume for practice at home?

Separately, I was looking at the Ampeg PF-20T and the 50T. In my research it seemed like the 20T would be more than enough for me at home, but since the 50T has more in it (DI, etc.) maybe that it is a possibility? Sorry for the rant...

2. ((KamiKaZe))

((KamiKaZe))

Aug 5, 2010
    i am in the same situation, and the amps you are considering are the same I am considering too, i am more inclined to the Fender Rumble V3 100 for a cheap alternative and the Ampeg PF20-T for the "luxury m" one, the Ampeg is excellent for recording too but don't have a headphones output jack

3. The Rumble 100 doesn't support an external cab if that matters to you.
    I have the 200 combo and get all kinds of low end with "at home" volumes for what that may be worth to you.
    15" vs 12" does not automatically mean the 12" won't go as low as the 15.
    There is a lot more to it than speaker size.
    If you like the 500 with the 1x12, then you should like the 200 with the same speaker.

Aqualung60 and dbbltime like this.
  4. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    The funny thing is that I was going to "downgrade" to the Rumble 200 because I really liked the sound of the 15", but the 112 sounded great. I hope other people chime in here!

5. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Thanks Garage! I was typing as you responded. I really like the 200 combo. I was surprised at how much I like the 112. I really wonder if the just the Rumble 200 head and the 112 cab would do it for me at low volumes....

Linnin likes this.
  6. ((KamiKaZe))

((KamiKaZe))

Aug 5, 2010
    i think for home practice and rehearsals the 100 is ok but you are right maybe is better sweet spot with an 200 one even better with the 200 head separate with a cab

Aqualung60 likes this.
  7. Fender says (eek! I hate quoting sales pitches) that the 112 cab was designed to be added to the 200 combo.
    The caveat in that may be that it is a physical match to set under the 200/500 combo. And that may be reason for that particular bit of marketing. The 115 extension cab is wider than the combo, but it should work just as well.
    The cab purist will say match speakers, some might even object to the 12 being under the 15.
    If you have a Fender dealer within a reasonable distance go try these out together.

8. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    i had the 200 combo and i liked it a lot , now i currently own the 200w head and a pair of 1x12 cabs ... i would recommend that u keep your 1x12 cab , sell your 500 head and get the 200w head and if u still have some xtra $$$ get another 1x12 in case u do get some gigs later ... meanwhile u could practice at home with a single 12 and get the tone your looking for ...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Linnin likes this.
  9. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    forgot to say i owned the 100w combo and it was good , but for me it wasn't enough volume for the type of stuff i wanted to do at the time (Spanish worship and Latin gospel ) loud drummer , sometimes 2 guitarist , 2 keys and percussion ... at least in my situation was a bit hard to just gig with a single 12 at 100 watts ... weirdly enough i have played at church with a single 1x12 cab and the 200w head wich gives me 140w at 8ohms and i have also used a bh250 wich is about 175w at 8ohms ... hope that helps

10. Buy a old Ampeg Rocket 50 watts , the money saved buy a bass you like or some beer.

11. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I love the Rumble 200 combo for the Eminence 15 + fabulous Fender tone. The Rumble 112 cabinet is excellent in every respect and will do all you need & want with the Rumble 200 head. Take your pick as the actual sonic differences between the 12 vs 15 are going to be insignificant at low volume.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  12. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Your set up is ideal for rehearsals and club gigs. Consider a small combo designed for home practice. If you do most of your playing at home it would make sense to get a high quality small combo that sounds great. Check out the Warwick BC20 and BC40, they sound amazing at low to moderate volumes. And make no mistake, the 8" bass driver with reflex cabinet will put out a lot of low end. In fact more than a small room can handle. On the BC20 I run my EQ: cut bass -1.5 and boost the mid +2, and boost high +1. There's some youtube demos of those amps.

Pros and Cons for small combo.

Pros: small and compact, low watt low power consumption, no overheating, just enough volume to fill a living room. Easy to position and move around to get the optimal tone in your room. Able to put in closet when not in use. Good tone if positioned off the ground and away from the wall. Able to dial in moderate or very low volumes for playing at night. Eliminates the need for headphones. Thus reduces hearing loss. Thus, longer practice sessions.

Cons: low power. Not loud enough for rehersal and gigs with acoustic drums or horns. When volume cranked up full power, tone can be bad (boomy/muddy) if the amp is placed in a corner, on the floor, or up against a wall.

Not all small combo amps are created equal. Some have great bass response and tone, while others are basically cheaply built guitar amps with lower frequencies. Some use bass speakers and others use guitar speakers in sealed cabinets. The cheapest often can't be cranked up without problems of distortion, fracking, or flubbing. While others like the Warwicks, and many other top brands have built in limiters that will use the full power of the amp. Also, some amps come with compression, overdrive, and some with modeling features.

So, it all depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of sound you want. Clean and simple, or dirty and full of FX. They range in price from $100 to $800. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. And if you do most of your playing at home, you should settle on the best sounding amp that you can afford. After all, you have the gigging amp covered.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    ((KamiKaZe)) likes this.
  13. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Pop into the Fender Rumble Club and check out some @ubernator's posts. He gigs drop tuned metal with a Rumble 200 combo on top of a Rumble 112 cabinet in some pretty sizable venues around L.A. with many compliments.

ubernator likes this.
  14. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Heh, I sold him that 112.

Linnin and ubernator like this.
  15. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I don't have much practical experience with the 500, only saw one in a showroom one time, and only plugged into it briefly, and gave it some volume to hear the low end response because I am usually skeptical about 210s. I was impressed, but I did not ab it at low volumes. I was mainly doing my comparisons of the 200combo versus the 115 cab with a head at the same settings.

I don't use my 200 at home, but I have used it for lower volume at practices where the drummer and second guitar player are not there and we are just writing. I never had a problem with the fatness going away at lower volumes, sure, there is never the same impact at lower volumes, but not a drastic difference.

My guess is that the 12" or 15" drivers suit you better than 10s. The only time I have solo'd my 112 was with @honeyiscool 44magnum when I was testing it, and once with my epiphone 5w valve Jr head so I can't comment on how it works on its own with a real bass head. I only play drop tuned metal in one band, a system of a down tribute tuned drop c, the other band is standard tuned classic/hard rock. The 200/112 15+12 stack has been plenty, and I dont ever have the master higher than 10 o clock, usually around 9.

My suggestion is to get a 200, you will like that 15", and add the 112 for gigs. With the new warranty changes, you are better off buying used from someone who bought between 2014 and Dec 2016 and still has the receipt, because the warranty changed to 2 yrs non transferable on Jan 1st. Be sure to plug that angle if you have the original receipt from yours if you sell/trade it. There might be someone with a 200 considering an upgrade trade. I was considering it myself but after the last few gigs I think I am better off staying where I am, and only deal locally anyway, so I couldn't entertain a transcon deal even if I still wanted to upgrade.

16. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I don't think he has a 112, he just had a chance to check one out.

himluis1 likes this.
  17. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    after reading the original post again it looks like he is talking about owning the 500 combo and then he tried the head version with a cab , so yes you might be right about that ...

18. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    It probably is a physical thing, but I have been pleased with the combination, and the way it fits in the back of my car, though the wheels on the 115 would have been a nice touch. The 115 was a tad boomier than the combo itself, the combo had a tighter response which I preferred. The 112 compliments the 200 combo if you like tight, the 115 would be better for dub reggae and more low end headroom, .5-1dB or so I would estimate.

19. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Sorry! I'm back. You guys friggin rule!! I do have the 500 combo and like it, but not at low practice volume. I think I may go with the 200 head and the 112. Anyone use the Ampeg Pf-20T or 50T?

20. If you plan to use a non-Rumble speaker with the Rumble amp, you might be moving away from the sound you have now. You might like the new sound better, you might not. If possible try the Rumble head with the Ampeg speaker before buying.