1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 200 or Carvin MB15??? Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by F-Clef-Jef, Jun 13, 2014.

1. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    I'm trying to put together a new rig for my blues gig, and I *think* I have it narrowed down to the Fender Rumble 200 or Carvin MB15. The Rumble is getting rave reviews, and I was almost ready to pull the trigger, but then I stumbled across a thread about the Carvin MB-series amps - also getting great reviews.

The Carvin MB15 is a little less expensive ($30 less) (and has a matching 15" cab available, for some 2x15 joy!), and also has a bit more power, and custom colored Tolex covering options. It is also a wee bit lighter. I also like the direct-out having a level control, which the Rumble doesn't. Feature-wise, the Carvin beats the Rumble hands-down. But, I can not try one before I buy. That has me a bit worried.

The Rumble200 has been getting such great reviews, and I can actually try one out at my neighborhood GC. That definitely adds to the "feel good" and comfort factor.

So, my TB gurus... what are your opinions? Other suggestions?

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wonder about the MB15 stack as well. I think I could fit the amp/cab in the cab of my truck!

3. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I would definitely go down and audition some Rumbles at your local GC, just for firsthand knowledge for yourself. There are Rumble 115 or 410 extension cabs available for either the Rumble 200 or 500 combos. You might like a Rumble 200 or 500 head with a couple of 115 cabs better.

Another option is to order a Carvin, and a Rumble and simply keep the one you like best. Returning the other at your expense. This way you could audition them live with your drummer, and make a direct A/B comparison.

Orangeclawhammr and bobicidal like this.
  4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I have not played through a Carvin MB yet, but I did recently have a BX500 and now have a Rumble 500 head. Playing both heads through my Berg HT112ER's I can honestly say that the Rumble is BY FAR a much better sounding amp than the Carvin. I am considering getting one or two of the MB115 cabs to use with the Rumble head just because they are small and I can get them in red, but if I were buying for a blues gig I would get the Rumble cabs over the MB's. They are a bit bigger and ported and will give more of that big phat tone you want for a blues gig. I can't imagine the smaller sealed cabs that only go down to 60hz giving you that type of tone. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    Linnin likes this.
  5. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    Thanks guys- I like the idea of a Rumble head + cab.

6. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida

My $.02, if you can afford it get the Rumble 500 head and the Rumble 115 cab(s). If not, I'd recommend just getting the Rumble 200 or 500 combo and adding a 115 ext cab if desired. More bang for your buck that way. Either way I would aim for the 500 if possible. 200 watts can run out real quick. For $499 the Rumble 500 combo can be the heart of a serious rig.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Not being able to try an amp is a big issue. After all, it all comes down to the tone and you have to know what you are getting. I agree that it would be best to go to GC and spend some time Rumbling. Take your time and listen carefully. If it knocks your socks off, look no further.

Another consideration is customer service. If you have an issue, which company would be easier to deal with and give you the best turnaround time.

8. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    I'm thinking the Rumble 500 2x10 combo will do the trick. I can always add the 115 cab if I need to. I need to stay small as I'm just using my little Chevy Cruze for transportation these days. I'll have to hit GC tonight and do a little noise-making.
    I agree, if I can buy it locally (GC is 10 minutes from my house) that would be best as far as customer service is concerned.

Thanks for the info / opinions!

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I had two Rumble combos and they both were horrid. After the second one blew up, I got a store credit and bought other stuff. Granted the new Rumbles look a lot better but a Carvin's a great amp. It's a complex little amp but it gets any sound and delivers huge punch and gobs of versatility.

10. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    There are many stories just like yours with Carvin. The new v3 Rumbles come with a 5 YEAR WARRANTY!!

Orangeclawhammr likes this.
  11. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Something to keep in mind with the Carvin MB15 if you go that route. First you only gain 50 watts adding a second Carvin 15 cab. Also the Carvin MB15 ext cab does not have a horn (tweeter) and is not ported if memory serves me. I had that exact same set up for a very short while. The MB15 combo by itself sounded pretty good. With the added ext speaker it sounded boomy. That's just my two cents worth.

F-Clef-Jef likes this.
  12. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

Nov 13, 2006
    Neenah, WI
    A friend had one of the older Rumble bass amps - not impressive to say the least! The V3 Rumbles are getting a good amount of strong reviews though.

pbassrules likes this.
  13. I have the MB15/15 and I love it. At some point I would like to try a ported cab ext to see how it sounds. You have plenty of eq including high and low mid and a compressor. sounds great with my P bass, Ubass and Jack Casady. Very happy. Had the older rumble 100 with the disco light and wasn't impressed, but the new ones are supposed to miles ahead.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If these are your only two choices, then Carvin.