Fender Rumble 200 vs. 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cartoonzx, Jun 16, 2017.

1. cartoonzx

cartoonzx

Apr 28, 2017
    I am looking to buy one or the other. I don't need 500 watts of power. I have used the 500 however and I was able to dial an awesome tone, but I don't know if the wattage or the different speaker will affect it. Will it? How do they compare?

Linnin likes this.
  2. The 500 has more power than the 200. More power is more loud, get the 500. Its loud! :cool:

I love spending other people's money. :cigar:

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

19133887.jpg

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Go audition one! They're killer. I have a Rumble 200 combo and it is all I need. I much prefer 15" custom woofer that Eminence designed and makes for both the combo and Rumble 115 cabinet. Extremely smooth dispersion of the entire midrange along with the rock solid well defined bottom you expect.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Get the 200 & later when you need more volume, get the extension cabinet.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Get the 200 and two cabs for a vertical stack. :)

Rod Barchetta and AstroSonic like this.
  7. CalBuzz51

CalBuzz51

Mar 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I've got the 115 and the 210, if I had to choose I'd keep the 115.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  8. There's no such thing as "I don't need that much power" for playing bass. If you like the sound of the 500, get it. Someday you'll be glad you had the overhead power. Bass amps should never be run at near their capacity. If it's too loud, that's what the volume pot is for. Turn it down.

9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    All other things being equal (which they obviously are not in this case) there is little difference between 200 watts and 500 watts. It's certainly not 2.5x louder as you might expect. You would need 2,000w to get twice as loud as 200w, because it is a logarithmic scale. My point being, if 200w is just right for your needs, then 500w is not massive overkill and shouldn't be a big factor in your decision. A much more important consideration is which speaker configuration you prefer.

10. If you can go to a store somewhere and play them both, side by side, then you can let your ears decide.

If you're not completely committed to buying a combo, you could go with a head and cab.
    Suppose you like the sound of the 2x10s, but only want the power of the Rumble 200, then get a 2x10 cab and 200 head. If you decide later that you need more power, you can get the 500 head.

The ultimate Rumble rig would be a 500 head and a pair of 4x10 cabs.
    I think a setup like that cannot be operated within 10 miles of any zoo that has elephants. :laugh:

(Though honestly, adding a second cab gets you more bang for the buck than a 2.5 times power increase.)

IMO, the flexibility of a head/cab outweighs the convenience of a combo.
    The price for that flexibility is the price of the individual parts.
    A pair will cost a little more than a combo of the same capability.

I see you are fairly new here. Welcome.
    If you're also new to bass, then you may be more comfortable buying new?
    But after you've had your toe in the water for a while, and used gear appeals to you, then there are several good places, including here, where you can get good used gear.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    DTRN, Ant Illington and Lvjoebass like this.
  11. I have the 500, and it is AWESOME. Get the 500. I've never thought, "Man, I wish my amp wouldn't go so loud."

12. You must factor in portability and think how you would store each when you are not playing.
    Check the specs for weight and dimensions.

13. I have the 500 head with a 410 on top of a 115. Also you need two cabs to get the full 500W, so get the 500 head and a single cab for now, you can always add a second cab later if the need arises.
    While I liked the tone and power of this rig, I've decided it's a bit much to carry around, so I went with the B amp, and a pair of reference 112s, unbelievable tone and power, with a small footprint !!!

14. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Headroom.

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My amp rule is always get more than you think you will need. Not only does it give you some additional loud when needed, and you most likely will at some point need it, it also allows you to not work your amp as hard.

Crockettnj, CozmoCosty and punchclock like this.
  16. I have the 500, don't always have to use it all, but when I do it's nice to know I have it on hand.

17. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

I have never worried about having too much power in a bass amp, upon occasion I felt a little bad over needing more.

revroy likes this.
  18. Lvjoebass

Lvjoebass In Memoriam

Jan 19, 2017
    Get that 500! You won't regret it! Headroom makes big diff in back of room!

19. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I played both with one of my students and actually the 500 is a overall better amp...he ended up getting the 2 x 10 combo and the extra 2 x 10 cab.....it really sounds very good. I would get it because..."it is better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it"...plus the difference in pricing is not much.

Have fun and remember "It goes to 11"

lol

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021