1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 200 vs. Carvin MB12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WoodyH, Mar 1, 2016.

1. WoodyH

WoodyH

Mar 1, 2014
    Ok, I'm in the market for a new lightweight (under 40lbs) combo. My budget is $500 max. (Just dropped nearly 8 bills for a new Schecter Diamond P Plus and I'm not rich.) I play 70`s rock, but mostly 80`s Metal/Thrash. Think Steve Harris, and Cliff Burton without the talent :) I'm a P-Bass, flatwound, finger style player. I only do small venues, maybe 50-75 seats. I'm open to any other options, or suggestions, but right now I'm looking hard at the Rumble 200 and Carvin MB12. They are around the same price. If I could take features from both of these amps, I'd be set.

2. I have the Carvin MB15 and I love it. It's a rather hifi clean sounding amp that doesn't really color the tone much. Works great with effects. The MB12 doesn't get as much love as the 15 or 2/10 options I guess because its downfiring driver doesn't work well on top of an extension cab, its better on the floor. I also have a Rumble 40. Nice amp with lots of bottom, almost too much for me at times. If you go the Carvin route I would seriously consider the MB15 over the MB12. Add the ext cab to the MB15 and you have a nice amp to cover larger gigs. I think either the Carvin or Fender will work fine for your needs, it depends on the sound your looking for.

3. Wait. You're a bass player and you're not rich?

That'll change quickly.

DerekW likes this.
  4. The Fender and add a Rumble 15" extension cab for full power .... down the track ...if needed

Linnin likes this.
  5. davegt666

davegt666

Jun 30, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    They all will get the job done just fine if you know how EQ each amp. It really just depends on what starting point (character of the amp) you want.

The GK Mb112-II might work out too. Same price range and lighter than both just doesn't have the extension cab option if I remember correctly.

6. Correct, only the G-K MB210 (series I or II) will drive an 8 ohm extension cab, but that one is a 500 watt amp and above the price range.

Personally I would likely fumble with the Rumble before the Carvin.

davegt666 likes this.
  7. davegt666

davegt666

Jun 30, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I would be inclined to agree. My previous generation Rumble 350 combo is still going strong. Served me well. The new ones aren't too bad either.

8. I can't think of anything clever to rhyme with Carvin so I guess you guys win!

9. WoodyH

WoodyH

Mar 1, 2014
    Fumble with the Rumble before I bargain for a Carvin. ? Lol

Gfkfloyd, B-string and 1stnamebassist like this.
  10. Fumble with a Rumble and you'll be starvin' for a Carvin.

11. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    Post of the day!

1stnamebassist likes this.
  12. Lol. Thanks. I was just going for the rhyme but I fully expect the Rumble crowd to have something to say.

1stnamebassist likes this.
  13. You guys are all great at rhyming! Guess that's why I don't write songs and just play bass!

14. WoodyH

WoodyH

Mar 1, 2014
    You're right, that could've started a Rumble with them Carvin you a new hind end!

Gluvhand likes this.
  15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Roses are red, violets are blue,
    Some poems rhyme and some don't. :smug:

Gluvhand and WoodyH like this.
  16. Roses are red
    violets are blue
    I hate mornings
    coffee