1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Rumble 25 making hissing sound!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ScottBurnham, Jan 29, 2016.

1. ScottBurnham

ScottBurnham

Aug 31, 2015
    Portland, OR
    So today I picked up a Fender Rumble 25 at Guitar Center. When I got home I plugging it in and it started making a hissing sound. Even when I plugged my bass (Yamaha TRBX304) in. This is aggravating and I can't figure it out.

2. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Not to insult your intelligence, but is the gain maxed out?

3. ScottBurnham

ScottBurnham

Aug 31, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Nope, I set everything flat.

4. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    @beans-on-toast is one of the amp gurus around here. He answered my questions!

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Hard to say if what you are hearing is normal for this amp.

According to the manual, the EQ is +/- 15dB at 40 Hz, 630 Hz and 8 KHz so flat should be at the center of the pot's travel. Verify this, it should be at noon. Turn down the treble fully counterclockwise and see if it reduces the hiss.

Test the amp to see if moving the tone controls makes a sonic difference. If it doesn't, good chance that there is an issue with the amp.

Try it with headphones and see if the hiss is present.

Try the bass plugged directly into the power amp in.

Plug into the passive input, even if you have an active bass. Then try the other input. See if it helps.

6. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    It'll be snakes - they like the vibrations.

7. ScottBurnham

ScottBurnham

Aug 31, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Everything is set at noon. playing with the tone controls changes the sound of the hissing slightly but it's still prominently there. I have tried it with headphones on and with my bass on and the hissing continues. My bass is active but the rumble 25 only has one input and doesn't have a passive/active selector switch.

8. Grounding issue?

Wallplugs o.k? No problems?

Anything else plugged in on this circuit? Could be you have a groundloop.....

9. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    If the amp is hissing without a bass connected, you could try a different power cable and different powerpoints ... but really, you will probably need to take it back to GC.

10. ScottBurnham

ScottBurnham

Aug 31, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I have tried various outlets in the house. I guess I am going to get up early tomorrow and go to guitar center.

11. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    @ScottBurnham , just take it back and exchange for another new in box unit. Also compare to their floor demo unit. With no bass input, when I max out all the controls (to include volume) on my Rumble 25 there is some normal operational noise present. With all controls at noon it is dead quiet. When the overdrive is engaged and the volume is maxed the operational noise is exacerbated (this is to be expected). When I pull the treble all the way down the noise is greatly reduced. Even with the volume maxed and the overdrive engaged it is a very soft industrial white noise and not a hiss.

12. ScottBurnham

ScottBurnham

Aug 31, 2015
    Portland, OR
    The floor model worked fine. The got one that was new in a seal box. In the morning I am going to exchange it and make sure it works before I leave the shop.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Linnin likes this.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Sound like it has an issue. Hope that you can work it out with GC.