Fender Rumble 25 or 40

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaseroRubical, Sep 1, 2018.

1. CaseroRubical

CaseroRubical

Apr 23, 2018
    I've been playing for about a year and I'm about to upgrade my bass (Yamaha TRBX 304) and amp, but I'm not sure if I should get the Fender Rumble 25 or 40.
    I only play by myself at home (and sometimes with an electric piano), so I think 25 Watts are enough, but the 40 Watts model has some great features, like a 4-band EQ, "bright", "vintage" and "contour" switches and being able to edit the overdrive sound, but it's like 100€ more.
    Do you think it's worth it to buy the 40 Watts model, or should I stick to the 25 one?

Edit: I also have a Zoom B1xon pedal, so I'm not sure if I actually need the overdrive function, even the Fender one sounding better.

2. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    I would go for the 40 or even go to the 100, 40 gives your some where to go if you need to, where the 25 even at home your probably going to be close we to maxing out sometimes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  3. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I'd suggest the 40. The volume knob will do what you need to play at home plus you get the extra features you seem interested in that the 40 has.

4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    a minty 40 for $100 just popped on our CL and for the first time I'm interested in the Rumble if only for curiosity sake and don't expect it to serve anywhere but jams at the apartment, so I'd suggest the 40 cos it's a bit more versatile and get's good points on tone from most owners which I'd be less assured from the 25's limited range 8'' speaker. a better speaker is said to greatly improve performance from both of these choices, plus, boxiness in sound may be an issue with the smaller unit which I haven't heard from the 40 reviewers as much and can be foam padded to personal taste. the Rumbles have been talked to death but I hope this thread gets some quality input now that two more players are new to the party. good luck with which ever you chose.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Your Zoom gives you all the effects, cab/amp sims you'll need.

Zoom B1Xon Bass Effects Pedal with Expression Pedal

b-b-b-bass likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes, the Rumble 40 is worth the extra expense. The front end pre-amp & four band EQ is much better. Also the 10" woofer is much better sounding than the 8" of the Rumble 25. The Rumble 40 is just 1 inch larger in all three dimensions, yet is 3 pounds lighter (18 vs 21) due to better quality plywood construction. If you have the money get the Rumble 40. It is well worth it.

AstroSonic, Bass V and Stumbo like this.
  7. 100

8. If you are mainly concerned with having adequate volume for in-home practice the 25 will do just fine. If you place a high priority on tone and the ability to adjust that tone, and would like to play along with recorded music (on the loud side) then the 40 is what you want. If you are thinking about playing with friends then the 100 (or 200) is what you need.

b-b-b-bass and Linnin like this.
  9. It sounds like you are still developing as a player, correct? I only say that because it sounds like you don’t have a need to play outside of your bedroom now, but that may change in some time. I’m going to actually suggest that if you can, you don’t buy an amp yet and you save your money. Whatever you have now is fine for practicing by yourself, and if you do end up playing with anyone in the near future, especially a drummer, you would need the 12” combo at a minimum to really be heard. If you’re planning on playing only with acoustic instruments then that’s another story, but with drums or electric guitar, I really think you should wait and get either the 12” combo or bigger when you have the money. That’s just my opinion of course!

10. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    Sound advise, thats why i suggested the 100 rumble, a bit more money but cheaper than buying a smaller and and having to upgrade a bit later. The 100 with the 12” speaker can be used nicely at home practice at low volume, but got the oomp when needed for band practice. Di meens you could gig with a pa. there us not a massive difference in price not in uk anyway, and see a few pop up second hand.