1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 40 V3 tone questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by growler571, Apr 13, 2015.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    does any one else who owns the Fender Rumble 40 V3 bass combo feel it's necassary to turn the bass control knob all the way up before this combo will produce a decent warm low end? I always have otherwise the amp
    Just sort of sounds thin and very sterile. Just curious, is this the norm for the rumble 40 V3 combos?

2. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    I have one. your situation doesn't sound normal at all :eek: I have to turn my bass knob DOWN, and have read many other owners say they also have to turn bass knob down to achieve a good tone! I recommend sticking your nose into the Rumble Club and asking around there. they are pretty helpful w/ rumbles in there. good luck!

Linnin likes this.
  3. I have one and found it to have a pronounced upper bass peak that generally required turning the bass down in order to have a usable tone. However, doing so essentially removes mid bass energy. Turning up the bass increases that mid bass energy, producing a warm, full bass tone, but with way over prominent upper bass. Perhaps this is what you are talking about.

If a warm, full bass tone is what you are after, you may have to move upmarket to the Rumble 100, which delivers that performance in spades. The Rumble 40 is just a nice practice amp. You may want to try sealing the cab (stuff wash cloths into the ports) - that will extend the deep bass and substantially lower the upper bass peaking. Blocking one port achieves similar results, but with a punchier tone. Adding some acoustic lining (dacron or similar fibrous material, 1/2 to 1 inch) to the back (only about 50% here), bottom and one side will smooth the mids and weaken that upper bass peak.