Fender rumble 500 combo head screwed up and I ruined it worse...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Outlourdes, Dec 4, 2022.

1. The Outlourdes

The Outlourdes

Dec 4, 2022
    I I tried to fix the input even though I've never soldered circuit boards and I ruined it. I don't want to fix the input anymore. it's frustrating.
    Can I simply buy any bass head and hook it up to the speaker wires somehow? Can I use the head as a cabinet without needing the input plug? I just want to salvage the cabinet and speaker and was wondering during if I simply could do that or not

2. Well I'll start by welcoming you to Talkbass. I wish it were under more favorable circumstances for you.

Unless you have other reasons to not like that amp, why don't you have someone fix it for you? Even if you've screwed up the PCB board around the input jack, a good tech can get around that.

And yes, one could just use the cab with another amp. But I'd recommend you have someone else set that up for you. It may require some soldering.

Lot of folks here willing to offer advice. Best to check in here first before trying something a bit outside your wheelhouse. We'll be glad to try and talk you through it.

Good luck.

3. The Outlourdes

The Outlourdes

Dec 4, 2022
    Thanks. I will look into that. It's tough to find amp repair places In South shore mass apparently but I think I saw a few that were further away.

4. I'll suggest you create a separate posting to inquire if anyone on TB knows someone in your area. Also, you are able to set your location in you TB profile so you can include your location with your On-Screen name. That can be helpful sometimes.

If you go to Fender.com, you might be able to locate an authorized repair center. However, if you have damaged the PCB, they may want to replace the whole board. Not sure if a Fender Authorized center is allowed to do work-arounds. But since the amp is out of warranty it might not matter. All you can do is ask.

Good luck.

One Way likes this.
  5. As the author of IT WAS WORKING 'TILL I FIXED IT, Vol 1, and Vol 2, take it from me: I discovered the HARD way it was way cheaper to let a professional fix it than to have the same professional fix . . . . what I fixed.

I'd simply contact Fender and see if any of their Authorized Service locations are anywhere nearby.

Authorized Dealer Locator | Fender

Best of Luck,

JW

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Welcome.

I suppose the bigger question is “why”?

Since the jack is mounted to the top panel PCB, and because the PCB is double sided with plated holes, the damage is more than meets the eye.

No tech wants to fix somebody else’s failed repair attempt, but a truly qualified tech should be able to fix this.

Yhe alternative is to replace the entire PCB, I am pretty sure it is available to Fender authorized service centers. Note that they are not always in stock. Also, most service centers won’t just sell these parts over the counter due to the hassle level that goes with paths sales to unqualified service folks.

7. mike57

mike57

Feb 12, 2009
    Our Fair City, MA
    Didja call South Shore Music in Weymouth?

If they don't do amp repairs, they should be able to point you to someone who does.

8. With a little luck, it can be fixed.

Last week I fixed my Fender Frontman 15B. The plastic nut had striped out on the input jack. It still worked electrically but the jack's only means of support was now just the PC board. Had a regular panel mounted jack in the parts bin so I used that with a short jumper cable between the jack and the board. Didn't have to order a part and got it off my bench sooner. Besides soldering, it took a bit of schematic figuring. I even had a black nut and washer. Almost looks original.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    fleabitten and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Most Fender amps now use plastic bushings to control noise and for EMC control. Be sure you use insulating shoulder washers and an appropriate size hole whenever substituting with a metal bushing.

I don't like dealing with amps that have been modified, most follow-up issues re directly related to the modifications which means fixing (properly) that first.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    One question that I always have to ask (having made the mistake myself) is whether it's certain that the input was the problem in the first place. Still, a tech should be able to work this out.

staccatogrowl and agedhorse like this.
  11. Scott Lambert

Scott Lambert Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2022
    Amarillo, TX

12. Scott Lambert

Scott Lambert Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2022
    Amarillo, TX
    Time to call a pro bro

13. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Actually, it would have been better and cheaper to call before the additional damage.

14. timmus

timmus JS Bach is really the ultimate bass player Supporting Member

If I still lived in NH, I'd have you bring it by my shop but I live in South Central Missouri now so that's probably a bit out of your way...:)

Give the guys at the Music Techs in Manchester NH a call. It's a bit of a hike if you are on South Shore but if you don't find anything else, it's worth it. They are over The Music Mill, a great music store in it's own right.

I did work for them for many years as a contractor after Daddy's Junky Music closed. If all you did was bung up the circuitry around the input jack, it's most likely repairable. You won't believe some of the stuff I've seen and fixed :jawdrop:.

Instrument Repair New Hampshire | The Music Techs

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
  15. andrus108

andrus108

Mar 11, 2018
    #cancel PCB mounted pots, switches and jacks....

(...looking inside my vintage '69-'71 era B25 with pots, switches and preamp tube sockets soldered to PCB, LOL for buying 'hand-wired' stuff from the good ol' days....)

16. mooseonbass

mooseonbass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Waltham, MA
    There are plenty of repair places in MA. I've had good luck with Aztech in Watertown.

BassBrass likes this.
  17. Thanks for the advice. That's good to know about the noise and EMC control.

News Flash... Old Solder Jockey Learns New Trick. Film at 11. :p

18. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Call Full Compass and see if they sell the board. Should be plug and play. They can order a lot of stuff , even though it’s not listed on their site.
    Full Compass Systems - Audio, Video, Lighting & Music Equipment Experts

My Ampeg BA210 developed an issue like that and I bought a brand new factory pre amp board which has all the jacks etc… for like $80. I do have a background in these types of repairs. If you don’t you may just want to find a repair shop to replace the related board , if it’s available.

plug and play.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. Siggy

Siggy

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    We all learn from our mistakes and I'm practically a genius.

20. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Guys, ain't nothing wrong with a person trying to fix his/her own thing you know... But indeed it is then up to the tech to decide if he/she is even willing to work on such project.

Thing is, if you don't screw some stuff up in the first place, how are you ever going to learn? I'd love to be at least somewhat qualified on amp repairs myself, but the equipment I own is just a tad too expensive (and rare in some cases), to be worth considering even, let alone actually trying.

Soldering is one of those things on my wish/to-do list I want to learn eventually. Sending my cables and stuff to the technician without trying it even once will never get me there. :)