1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender rumble 500 COMBO or GK mb212 ii COMBO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GTH007, Feb 28, 2016.

1. GK mb212 ii

58.8%
  2. Fender rumble 500

41.3%
  1. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    I havnt seen a thread comparing these two amp COMBOS.
    I've tried the GK mb212 ii(let me emphasize its the 2nd model), and really liked it.
    I havnt had the chance to try the Fender rumble 500.

Main question: what is the difference in TONE of these two combo amps?

I am aware of all the other features of these amps but i am mainly concerned about how they differ in tone.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, however, tone is the main subject here.

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    BIG difference in price. GK@$800 vs Fender Rumble 500 @$600. The GK is 33 1/3% more expensive. Does it sound 33 1/3% better? Does it sound better at all? I don't think so. No, not at all.

Fenders sound better. Everyday. All the time. Since 1951.

3. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Good point, but id like to point out that the GK can connect the MBP powered extension cabs. This means that for roughly 1600$, i can have 2 212s totaling 1000 watts!

Yes, this thread is asking about tone differences but that is a big feature for GK IMO.

Can the fender do this?

mbelue likes this.
  4. And then there's always the unbiased "truth". Play them both if you can and go from there. From my limited experience, the Fender sounds more "traditional" and "classic" than the GK. The GK is more modern sounding. Just depends on what you prefer. Neither sounds "better". Any day. None of the time. Since 1966. Well, I am, at least.

Gabbs and mbelue like this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You must listen for yourself. GK just doesn't do it for me, even if I have $1,600 pocket change. No, not at all.

You need to decide for yourself.

6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Fender Rumble has more of the vintage sound to it.
    Fat, creamy, and beefy
    GK has a more modern sound to it.
    More aggressive with bite and punch.
    I found that in a loud band situation the Fender didnt hold up well whereas the GK held its own easily. But that might not be you.
    Cant go wrong either way, both are fantastic amps.
    All just my opinions.

Gabbs likes this.
  7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have played both. The Fender is a very good amp but so is the GK. Tone wise if you are after the vintage vibe the Fender is the way to go but if you in a loud band the Fender will get lost in the mix where the GK will power through. If you play classic rock and funk at moderate levels the fender would be awesome. If you play more heavy music with a cleaner more modern sound the GK would fit the bill much better.

Gabbs and shawshank72 like this.
  8. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Hmmm im actually not in a band YET. But i have a guitarist that i jam with currently.

I suppose I'll just have to try the fender rumble

I guess the question now is what would be a better amp overall for the long run?

9. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I can say from experience, gigging with the GK you will hear yourself easier than the Fender. I own the MB212 and have used a friends Fender 210 at a gig. The Fender sounds better to me when you're playing by yourself at your house but can't hang with the GK when it comes to gigging.

10. Fit4pain

Fit4pain Supporting Member

May 30, 2012
    San Antonio Texas
    I sale both at GC. For me the GK MB 112 and the 212 ext cab is what I play. Made in the US and the perfect clean tone is what decide it for me. The Fender is great at that vintage tone but that is about it. To me the GK is much more versatile

11. 10cc

10cc

Oct 28, 2013
    GK. Fender rumbles are a joke. Yes I said it.

12. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    I want to be in a very bass oriented band where im heard and dominating many songs. So perhaps the GK is for me. I slap a lot too, more like flea did on EARLY rhcp albums(the albums no one knows about!) I need a good heavy slapping tone

13. GTH007

GTH007

Apr 13, 2015
    Oh I'd like to add that i play a musicman stingray 2 band eq.

Also i know the post is revolving around the 2 amps that i mentioned, but how about:
    -Markbass cmd 121p?
    -Ampeg ba210 v2?

14. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    I believe that's true for all of us.

Buy the biggest cabinet you can afford and transport. Obviously there's a tonal difference but fartout is a tone too, anything i can do to avoid that tone is worth it.

Jim Carr and GTH007 like this.
  15. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Yes you did.
    I find them to be underpowered but they do sound great.

16. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Flea plays GK amps. So, if his slap sound is what you're going for, your Stingray and a GK will get you pretty close.

GTH007 likes this.
  17. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I like the rumbles and I like the GK combos. The GK puts 500watts into 2 12's. The fender is 350 into 2 10's. So that alone makes the GK a better choice if it's the only thing you're going to play through. But if you want to add a cab the rumble might be better. Yes, you can get the GK powered extension cab but it's another $700 pop. For that kind of cash I'd get a head and cab separates.

Also, the GK has a real DI vs the line out on the fender. You said you understand the features but I think this is an important point. The DI and 12 vs 10 justify the added expense of the GK. You say you like it. Looks like it's the one for you. IMO, YMMV...

shawshank72, mbelue and GTH007 like this.
  18. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I currently gig with a GK MB212-ii....Its a full 500 watts, a ton of headroom and volume, and I have yet to need 30% of its capabilities.
    However i also like the new Rumbles, and am considering the 200 as a backup and alternate for acoustic and smaller shows. Like others have said its Classic vs. Modern tonal footprint, the GK will get you more volume though if that's needed. When I need my GK to sound less GK and more classic, I use a Tone Hammer pre-amp/DI, works great to warm it up.

dgrizzly and MoeTown1986 like this.
  19. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I did a combo shootout before I bought the GK, Acoustic, Markbass, Ampeg, GK and Rumble.
    My requirements: Tone, price, portability
    Results: The GK, Markbass and Rumble sounded the best, Ampeg and Acoustic didnt cut it, there were 2 Ampeg floor models that were DOA and the clerk said they had been having "issues" with the new line so that eliminated them for me. Markbass was simply overpriced for what you got. The GK had more power and punch than the Rumble, so I ended up with the GK.

GTH007 likes this.
  20. Anyone that says that the Fender will get lost in the mix does not know how to adjust the EQ.

Everything else is pretty accurate, except the Rumble being a joke.

I have a GK200rcb and a Rumble 500 head. Both are great. GK has better tone to my ears, but the Rumble has all the power you would need in a compact great sounding package.

Mvilmany, GTH007, jlepre and 3 others like this.