1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Rumble 500 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yucafrita, May 23, 2018.

1. yucafrita

yucafrita

Feb 17, 2008
    Doral, Fl
    Hello
    I have some amazon gift cards and I would like to get a D class small head around 500 watts.
    Amazon selection is not that extensive and most are out my price range (500$ or less).
    So seriously thinking about the fender rumble head, other options are the GK mb500, Tone hammer 350 and the peavey minimax which is now on sale for 307.99$!
    between these affordadle heads, what do you guys like best?
    Im thinking of using my Epifunky Cabs (1x15 8ohms) and 4x10(4ohm), not together obviously!
    My main giging basses are squier Vintage modified Precision and Jazz bass, and I play mostly classic rock and alternative.
    All comments are welcome!

deepestend and gsgbass like this.
  2. You can't go wrong with a Fender Rumble 500 head. 500 Watts @ 4 ohms, and 350 watts @ 8 ohms. They work, and play well.

getrhythm, Mpike, hisdudeness and 7 others like this.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    My buddy has one in his Rumble 210 combo and it sounds like a million bucks. They play long loud sets and it's holding up nicely.

4. yucafrita

yucafrita

Feb 17, 2008
    Doral, Fl
    I heard they are great, but Im asking about the rumble head, not the combo.'
    But I guess they sound similar.

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The same head is built into the combo.

6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have both the head and the combo. Both are amazing.

Linnin, Aqualung60 and Giffro like this.
  7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Got it and it works great with an number of different cabs.

Giffro and jeff7bass like this.
  8. yucafrita

yucafrita

Feb 17, 2008
    Doral, Fl
    Awesome, thanks!

jeff7bass likes this.
  9. yucafrita

yucafrita

Feb 17, 2008
    Doral, Fl
    Any opinion on the other heads I mentioned?

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    GK MB500 is in a different class and would be the obvious choice. Made in the USA, top notch quality, incredible little amps. Then I would go Aguilar, which I would put 2nd place only because it has less power but the quality is just as good as the GK. Then the Peavey, then about 5 others, then the Fender..for me. I just don't care for the bland tone of the Rumble stuff, and they don't even have Speakon connectors.

jchrisk1 likes this.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Hard to beat the Fender for the price. 500w, really good sound and they seem reliable.

Linnin, Aqualung60 and Giffro like this.
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Bland tone? Yeah I don't think so. I know people like their GK's and I do also, but the Fender only costs 400 bucks.

13. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    You get the separate Fender Rumble 500 head and a Rumble cab or do what I did and get the Fender Rumble 500 Combo with the 2x10 speakers plus I added an extra 115 Rumble cab to my combo for added punch for larger gigs. You wont be sorry. Fender Rumble gear is arguably the world's best selling Bass equipment in the world at this time. Check out the Fender Rumble club here on TB for loads of info and the newer Rumble amps.

14. Own a Rumble 500 V2 head. Great reliable backup head to my Ampeg V4B. Does it sound like a tube amp? No. Am I glad I have it in the trunk ready to go? Yes. Lots of praise from me.

Marc

jeff7bass and Giffro like this.
  15. yucafrita

yucafrita

Feb 17, 2008
    Doral, Fl
    So a lot of love for the rumble and at least one person that hates them.
    I have a rb700 that I like, but is rack mounted with a furman and I would like something lighter.
    very curious about how the rumble performs but the mb500 could be the othe option.
    Do the rumbles work well with preamps? I have a VT bass and Sansamp RBI.

16. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Try to play thru some of these if possible before you buy, you choose what you like and can afford..

Giffro likes this.
  17. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I would say the mb 500 hands down. However, if you could find a used Markbass LM3 you will be in love, I guarantee it.

Though if you could save a bit more the Mesa Subway 800 blows all of them away

18. yucafrita

yucafrita

Feb 17, 2008
    Doral, Fl
    I would love to try before buying, but the selection is very limited in my town.
    I tried the Rumble and sounded good, I loved the tone hammer 500 but is 300$ more.
    Im familiar with the Gk tone and I like it too, but i feel like trying something different.
    hopefully I can make a good choice!

EatS1stBassist, Giffro and Kukulkan61 like this.
  19. Fender Rumble 500 is excellent.

I use to use mine with Rumble cabs, a 12 and a 15, now (due to space) I'm running a Markbass 102P 2x10.

All sounds great with the 500. You'll love it.

Linnin, Giffro and squidtastic like this.