1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble 500 input won't clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prater, Dec 25, 2016.

1. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    Tried to find the sweet spot just below clipping and never clipped, even with the input gain maxed out.

I know there is a limiter after the preamp, but that should only prevent the power section from clipping, the preamp should still clip just like any input channel.

Just curious if there is an explanation for this.

2. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    What your signal path running to your amp?

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Designed to stay clean and not to clip. That's what the overdrive is for.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  4. Dawyeah

Dawyeah

Oct 20, 2016
    On my rumble 100 I have to use active pups and crank the input to even get a tiny bit of growl from the preamp... I just set it at 3:00 and leave it. Not sure why they even put that knob on there... There's built in overdrive but it leaves lot to be desired. Personally I think the rumbles are cheap enough that you can just get a pedal if you need a dirty tone.

Also I can't get too technical but I think The class d design has something to do with it. IIRC The amp is designed to work well below it's limits because if you clip too much you could glitch the power amp into not switching and run straight DC current off one rail which can blow the amp or the speaker pretty quick. something like that. There's an in depth article in the TB FAQ

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  5. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, I love the amp and it sounds great. I'm just trying to understand the science behind a channel that won't clip. Even channels on a soundboard can clip when enough gain is introduced. I don't want it to clip I just want to understand why it doesn't.

6. btmpancake

btmpancake Gold Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    It has what fender calls a 'delta comp limiter' circuit to protect itself from idiots like me trying to make it do more than it was designed. That's why they offered a 5yr transferable warranty just in case I accidently get smarter than them.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  7. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    But the delta comp is after the preamp to keep the power amp from clipping. The input should still be able to clip.

8. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Delta com limiter ties into power amp clip detection then to power amp. I could be wrong tho.

Linnin likes this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^This is correct^^^ It is between the pre and power amps right where it should be. The clip detection circuit kicks in the limiter to protect the power amp from teenagers. Check out these 'Rumble Talks' on the original Delta-Comp and also the new tweaked V3 as discussed in the new vintage voicing and overdrive talk.
    Fender Rumble Talk Links

btmpancake likes this.
  10. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    Teenagers? Thanks linnin for making me feel young again and not being call reckless for I have tried to push all my rumbles beyond where I thought they could go and could not- I think they had me in mind BTW- I think all Rumbles have that circuit protection in them, at least my 40, 200, 500 does.

Linnin likes this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    LOL! :laugh: Yes, all Rumbles have a Delta-Comp Limiter. ;)

12. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    None of these replies explain why the input is incapable of clipping.

I get why the power amp doesn't clip, but what about the input. If you turn the input gain up to max, how does it keep from clipping the input?

13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    It is designed not to clip under normal conditions. Plug a pre-amp into it and dime the gain and it will clip. Hard clipping of solid state circuitry is normally quite harsh and undesirable, but to each his own. Don't kill your amp.

mrb327 likes this.
  14. btmpancake

Aug 5, 2015
    Apollo beach, Florida
    It would be helpful if you told us what are you trying to accomplish by making it clip? If you're trying to simulate the tone of tube satuation then the O/D drive and level will add some but not a lot, otherwise you can go to the fx loop (except the R40 and lower) and add your effects. Correction; you can also add effects into the amp input also.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    ON, I get where you're coming from. For decades the conventional wisdom has been to set the gain where "the light blinks when I hit it hard". It seems times have changed with regard to that amp anyway. Set it where it sounds good and let it eat. :D

Linnin likes this.
  16. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^This is the proper approach^^^

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There is plenty of available headroom in the preamp by design, I see nothing wrong with that. There is a section that is designed to be overdriven if you wish, plus this makes the amp pretty OD pedal friendly IMO.

btmpancake and Linnin like this.
  18. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    I'm not trying to make it clip for any purposes other than experimentation. I usually set my input gain just below clipping. I noticed that no matter how high I turn the input gain it doesn't clip and I'm curious why. I've never experienced a pre amp that doesn't clip. The fact that this doesn't even have a clip light is even more curious to me.

19. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    As it's designed not to clip, I would have thought it very natural that there is no clip light, as it wouldn't really serve any practical purpose.

Linnin likes this.
  20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Indeed! A clip light would just be a useless piece of clutter on the control panel that would only serve to raise the manufacturing cost.