Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Rumble 75 Case Rattles & Buzzes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terryj47, Dec 26, 2012.

1. terryj47

terryj47

Oct 20, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I bought a new Fender Rumble 75 a couple of months back. I use this just for practice. The amp has some pretty annoying rattles and buzzes at certain settings and at certain notes. I don't believe it is the speaker itself but rather a peaky sort of resonance in the case. I took the grille off and that had no effect. It took it back to GC and we compared it to some other identical units. They all had similar rattles and buzzes. GC offered to exchange it or take it back but since they all did it I decided to keep it and try to do something about it. I does sound pretty good with my basses other than the rattles. The volume is set at 9:00 o'clock. Not very high. I plug in my active bass to the active input (reduced gain).

My question is has anyone else experienced this? If so, were you able to do anything about it? Stuff it full of insulation, put some extra ports in it, plug the port, replace the speaker, etc.?

I don't need a lot of volume. Just for practice. But I would like a clean sound. I go direct for recording.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

2. shackled

shackled

Jun 25, 2009
    Western NY
    Sorry to hear about your problem. Mine doesn't rattle. :meh:

3. DaveMurietta

DaveMurietta

Jun 18, 2012
    I just got a Rumble 150 for Christmas. The D and E flat notes produce a buzz but no other notes do. I swapped out basses and the same thing. The one I played in GC didn't have this problem. But I did notice the more I played it the less prominent it became. I don't know if maybe the speaker needs to be broken in. I'm going to play it for a couple of weeks and see if it gets better or else I'm going to return it.

4. terryj47

terryj47

Oct 20, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys. Anyone else?

5. DaveMurietta

DaveMurietta

Jun 18, 2012
    I found out what the problem is. Just take off the casters or lay the amp on its side. Eliminated the problem for me completely. It also made the amp sound more controlled and less boomy. It kind of sucks that I'll have to do this at shows, but it's not that big of a deal.

6. Neither does mine. I've had my Rumble 75 for 7 months and regularly play at half volume. Very solid; meaty & punchy sound. No buzzing or rattles at all. Handles the low B of my Yamaha 5-string well. Killer punch with my Precision. Best small bass combo amp I've ever played.

7. DaveMurietta

DaveMurietta

Jun 18, 2012
    I actually ended up taking mine back to GC. The buzz would come back every once in a while and it started to bug me. It has to be a design flaw in the cab. I played it with different basses, cords, in different rooms, on it's side, etc. I suggest you do the same. The GC guys tried to convince me it was the casters causing the problem but I can promise you it isn't.

8. milkman-27

milkman-27

Jul 4, 2009
    I had the exact same problem with a Rumble 75. I took it back to where I got it and they tried to fix it, but it didn't work. It buzzed real bad when you had it tilted back and the bass boost switch was on, and only when you played Ab or Eb. Needless to say I walked out with a brand new Rumble 150 for a great deal. Must be a design flaw with the 75 version.

9. If it stops rattle and "boom", Its probably insufficiently braced. I know the Rumble 100/210 I had was and was greatly improved with some bracing and lining.

10. BmP

BmP

Nov 7, 2016
    Old thread, but same problem here. Bought mine used, sounded OK when tried, but after a while at home with volume on 2 typically, certain notes cause a vibration sound. Thought it was my old windows, but when I moved it and got between the amp and the Windows, it's the amp.

Took out the speaker, looks ok, no voice cool rubbing on the magnet.

Inspected the case on the inside and you can see where all the rear panels are glued, but using my camera in my iphone as a mirror, you can see the whole front baffle board has no glue or bracing. As a matter of fact I could put a putty knife in a crack between the baffle and top of the speaker box. Can not see light through, so perhaps a dado joint and glue is inside, but can't see any.

Perhaps baffle is screwed from the sides before the black leather like covering. Have added in extra bracing glued with high quality wood glue and screwed from the inside to the baffle board / sides and 1" dowels from side to side and top to bottom glued only. Glue is drying... Will see if I makes a difference in a few days. If not it's destined to be boat anchor! Worst case can't hurt.

Overall they did a good job to seal the speaker with a foam gasket and the place the wires go though the speaker box from the amp section. I had the amp out and there are no loose parts or fasteners there.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  11. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Often on combos its not driver or cab section but the amp head chassis or some part of the electrics inside sometimes rattling against something or having a sympathetic resonance.
    Its annoying that often combos have these issues. And the issues are born out of bad design and manufactures trying to cheapen everything.
    Its started to really bug me lately.

12. BmP

BmP

Nov 7, 2016
    Thanks for the thought... I had it too... I pulled the amp and went over it with 40 years of electronics know how and checked every screw and every clearance. Moved tall caps a little to one side or the other so they would not be touching. Added a few more tie wraps on wires that were not secure (like the ones to the IC amp chip on the heatsink). They were soft, but did not take any chances.

I also tightened all the hardware for corners, vents and handle.

Good news it's way better. I have not heard a vibration out it since I brought it back to the music room from the shop.

Lots of bracing, screwed and glued went into it. So what was really the cause we can only use educated guess since I changed many variables at once. Just wanted it to be better rather that finding root cause.

Brian