1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Rumble 75 or Fender Bronco 40?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zamega, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Zamega

Zamega Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Hi guys, I have been thinking about which bass amp I should get. Can anyone tell me or convince me which one is better to get?

2. Zamega

Zamega Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Anyone?

3. Haven't tried either, but I would think that it would depend on what you were going to use it for. The Bronco looks to be more of a stay at home and practice amp, or for use in the studio. It has a ton of features and seems like a decent little amp to practice with, but I doubt it would work in any type of a band setting, even for rehearsals. At 75 Watts the Rumble would give you more power and may work in a low volume band situation. It would probably be a great, no frills, practice amp as well. Like I said, it depends on what you are hoping to use it for. If you hope to jam with a drummer I'd look for something with more power, otherwise you'll end up pushing one of these too hard and will most likely be unhappy with the sound you get. Just my two cents, good luck!

4. You are not going to perform or play in a band with those, right? 40W or 75W is puny, unless you are doing restaurant gigs with a very quiet band, or then mic or DI to a PA and barely hear anything on stage from those amps...

Me thinks practice amps are just a waste of money.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 both a considered small practice amps. Anything less than 100 watts with at least a 15" spkr will not cut it if you plan on playing with a drummer, but either one would be suitable for at home solo practice. I don't personally care for any amps that try to do too much, or are loaded with extra features, but maybe that's exactly what you're looking for.

6. Zamega

Zamega Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Which one is better for recording?

7. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    You are better off plugging your bass straight into the mixer/interface and recording it cleanly. Download Guitar Rig or some other digital emulation setup and manipulate your tone from there. Spend the money on a decent input cable - 10' long and no longer. Get a good pair of headphones and go from there.

Do not bother getting a small combo for recording.

8. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    I had a Rumble 75..wasn't bad. If your band isn't awfully loud, it might be enough. There is a line-out on it so you can plug into a mixer/pa.

9. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    The Rumble 75 . . . blew one (the speaker) within a week. Coughed up the extra change for a Rumble 350. Worth every dime.

10. Zamega

Zamega Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I think I will just go with what you said haha thanks

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I am glad I could help! For clean bass tones, digital emulation is quite good and very simple to use.

12. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I own a Bronco 40. I owned a Fender B-DEC in the past. The B-DEC was a Rumble 30 with a MIDI unit built-in. So, I have a clue about both devices.

What is nice about the Bronco is the versatility provided by the amp emulations. If you have a computer and you want to experiment with different amp sounds, different cabs, pedals, rack effects, etc... The Bronco is the way to go.

The Bronco is also decent for recording. It has an XLR out which works just fine.

Last but not least, the speaker is decent as well. It is only a 10-inch but IMHO the speaker in the Bronco is of better quality than the speakers in any of the Rumble combos.

So, with the understanding that you would never use that amp for gigging, the Bronco is the clear winner. For extra credit, the Bronco has the emulation for the Rumble 350 head if you really need to have the "Rumble sound".

As a side note, what I find the most impressive about the Bronco is the cab emulations. You can configure any heads with a whole array of cabs 1x10, 1x12, 1x15, 1x18, 2x10, 2x12, 2x15, 4x10, 4x12 and 8x10. Some configurations come in vintage, modern or hi-fi voicings. When you change the cab, it really changes the sound in a realistic way.

Over the years, I have dabbled with software emulation from:

- Line 6
    - Native Instruments
    - IK Multimedia
    - Audiffex

The Bronco's cab emulation is more realistic than any of the products offered by any of these companies above.

Also, in this month's Bass Player magazine, Ed Friedland a.k.a. The Bass Whisperer, has a review of the Bronco 40. I suggest you give it a read before splurging money.

Good Luck.

-- LoTone