Fender Rumble 800??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knappymer, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    knappymer likes this.
  2. I figured this would have been something we heard from NAMM. While not revolutionary, it's probably not going to dethrone GK or DG, but it definitely keeps them in the light-weigh, high-power game.

I mean, Fender may get my monies with this one.

3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    GK has new amps coming out (Legacy) but it seems Fender beat them to the finish line. I like the looks of this one better than the Rumble 500.

4. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I bet it has the same ICE power module, as the Bassman 800

FunkHead and Greyvagabond like this.
  5. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    The Rumble Wiki (linked in my signature) has a section on the new Rumble 800 HD and the LT25 with a few announcements.

It was announced at NAMM this January. There has been quite a bit of discussion about it here on TB already. But, since they haven't shipped yet, no first-hand experience that I've heard of yet. It does seem to have all the major improvements that most critics have said the 200 & 500 heads needed, and then some!

Some say that the Rumble 500 head is being discontinued, like the 200 head has. If so, I'm betting that the 800 HD is the 500's replacement. I also hope there will be a 300 or 400 HD to replace the 200, but that may depend on the success of the 800HD first.

I think there is also some general confusion between last year's then-new Rumble Stage 800 combo and this year's now-new Rumble 800 HD head, just from the name. Googling the head name gave me almost nothing but the combo!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Giffro and ramrodTM like this.
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Both MF.com and Guitar Center say the new head ships on 03/23/19.

knappymer likes this.
  7. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    MF, and maybe other places, still have a $100 discount for pre-ordering!

jeff7bass likes this.
  8. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    That's a possibility, of course. But an important distinction (with or without a difference) is that the Bassman 800 outputs up to 500 watts at 8 ohms, while the Rumble 800 HD outputs "only" up to 400 watts at 8 ohms, just like the Rumble Stage 800 combo. Significance? You decide.

9. Ortus

Ortus

Apr 12, 2010
    New York, NY
    I was looking at this but I was hoping to use it with two Rumble 115s and it seems overpowered, seeing that the 115s are each 300w continuous. Am I wrong about this?

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    400w @ 8 ohms is a whole lot to pump into a single cab. That Bassman is old school cool though, I admit. Weighs a bit more but a lot less than you would think by looking at it.

11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Oh boy, here's comes the techie assault squad!

Aqualung60 likes this.
  12. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    You're right to have the concern, if you start cranking the amp! But, in most actual use, even at fairly high volumes you'll probably be fine. Just listen for distress at high volumes But, if you do need to consistently push it, just add a third 115, or even a fourth!!!

No techie here. Just a Rumble and Bassman fan. The 500 of each has been plenty for me, so far. But I gots my fantasies!

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    There was a thread that went on for weeks about overpowering and underpowering cabs. The 800 runs at 2 ohms so yeah, he could add more cabs but running two cabs is fine as long as he doesn't go nuts.

14. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I’m not going to lie.
    I want one.
    Don’t need it.
    But I still want it.

Iristone, Giffro, knappymer and 3 others like this.
  15. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    I have a Stage 800 210. It’s a great amp. Plenty of power. I mainly use my SVT-CL and an SVT15e but that 800 can hang. Plenty of volume. I would imagine this is similar without all the bells and whistles of the Stage 800. I have yet to hear a Rumble that doesn’t sound good. At 500 bucks it would be a great amp I have little doubt.

BarfanyShart, Giffro and G-Dog like this.
  16. bluesfanjp

bluesfanjp Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2015
    I think I see one of these in my future! I would most likely be using a Rumble 500 at the moment if it would have had a pre/post switch on the line out.

Long lead in to a question...
    Currently I'm using a Peavey Minimax with a GK 112 neo cabinet. Nice and light and plenty loud. 8ohm cabinet so 300 watts from the head. I play mainly rock and my current setup will run with any ham fisted drummer I've encountered so far. At my last gig the sound guy came up after about 3 songs and asked me to turn down, I somewhere between 4 and 5 on the knob. Venue size was about 100 give or take. Our practice space has only a small PA for keys and vocals. If the drummer is feeling really frisky I might hit 4 on the volume knob. Just for context, I usually have the gain up pretty high, around 7.

So why the trend to 800 watt, or more, heads? Do you really need it and do you want to even stand in front of your cabinet for 2-3 hours if you are pushing that much power?

17. BeyondFiredUp

BeyondFiredUp

Jan 29, 2005
    Texas
    bluesfanjp wrote: So why the trend to 800 watt, or more, heads? Do you really need it and do you want to even stand in front of your cabinet for 2-3 hours if you are pushing that much power?[/QUOTE]

Because headroom is a wonderful thing and the power is there if you'll need it. Granted, not everyone needs that much but it seems Fender hit it right and corrected the things that could have been better on the 500. Looking forward to the reviews when it's released!! Approaching GAS!!

18. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    No idea on news but nice on the amp!

19. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    "So why the trend to 800 watt, or more, heads? Do you really need it and do you want to even stand in front of your cabinet for 2-3 hours if you are pushing that much power?"

For me, it relates more to tone than to volume.
    The headroom gives you more clear, deep low end.
    The acoustics of a venue has sometimes helped me decide what to bring-- for example, a very "live" room with lots of glass and other hard surfaces might need less bottom end and more "throaty" midrange, in which case I'll bring a less powerful head. (A GK 400RB instead of a GK 1001RBII, for example.)
    The musical context counts, too-- for a trio gig where I want to have lots of pillowy low end to fill the space in the music, I might bring the more powerful head. (Turned down appropriately.)

Sav'nBass, mbell75 and jeff7bass like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021