Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

For a while, I had my 500c stacked on top of an older Carvin LS1503 3 way PA cab, just for fun...and it sounded damn good :thumbsup:

bordinco90 and Miles_ONeal like this.
  2. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    My tiny 100 is all naked and the parts are ready for some painting, DIY everything! Hopefully it turns out well; going to post a picture here once it's done :)

ampypampy.jpg

JPDsma, JakobT, John Stephen and 2 others like this.
  3. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

:eek: Just the grille, right!?! Please don't paint the speaker cone!!!

Katoosie likes this.
  4. Katoosie

Katoosie

Jun 12, 2020
    Sweden
    Not JUST the grille - all the silver parts and the grille :)
    Here it is!

IMG_20201107_124456.jpg
    IMG_20201107_182816.jpg
    IMG_20201107_185850.jpg

Finished thing.
    I like it black!

5. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

OooOoo! Very stealthy! Not even a logo badge, eh? Keep others guessing! But, we know. Yes, we do. :thumbsup:

6. I’m thinking of buying a classic vibe mustang to noodle around on electric guitar. I would say I’m quite good at guitar, at least on acoustic I’m as comfortable as I am on bass, but not having an electric to write on is quite annoying.

My question is; can I run an electric guitar into my rumble stage 800 and not damage anything? I would assume the speakers would handle the range but I just want to make sure.

I know people run guitars into V4-B’s and it sounds gnarly and huge. I would love to have a V4-B and a 212 cab or two under it, but the cost is too much to justify.

Miles_ONeal and G-Dog like this.
  7. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I can’t see it damaging the amp.
    Normally, I’d say that the amp might sound a bit too “bassy” for the guitar, except for two things:
    1. The 2x10 speakers should perform well for a guitar.
    2. A few of the available amp models (e.g. ‘59 Bassman, Dual Showman) were traditionally used by guitarists. The SWR Redhead probably will sound like a spanking clean solid-state guitar amp. The Orange will probably sound like an Orange guitar amp, too.
    I have a Classic Vibe Strat. I will try it, and let you know what I think.

Miles_ONeal, G-Dog and Devon Bustard like this.
  8. Thanks, I would really appreciate it! I would just be using it until I find a nice used deluxe reverb. I play a lot of “stoner” stuff like Melvins so the bassy sludge may be good! I’m assuming it would be better to use a ds1 or something into it rather than using on amp distortion.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  9. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    I am quite sure you can run it without damaging anything, even though I don't have a Stage 800. Bass amps can handle electric guitars just fine. I know from experience, as I play my electric guitar through my Rumble 40 and through other bass amps I've owned. It doesn't work the other way -- running a bass into a guitar amp could be risky. But I'm sure your Rumble State 800 can handle a guitar.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  10. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

I'm sure it'd be fine, Dev. I've played guitar through all my bass amps from time to time, though not at gig levels, and it sounds great, so deep and rich!

BTW, you should check in at the Guitar Player's Corner here on TB. I just recently found it myself.

Miles_ONeal and Devon Bustard like this.
  11. wctesla

wctesla

Jul 8, 2018
    I've been playing my SG and Epi ES339 through my Rumble 100 v3. I use a Zoom multi-effects pedal with amp modeling into the return loop of the amp and I think it sounds great....I even plugged the headphone out of a little Vox DA5 amp into the return (I have a stereo to mono summing cable I made with resistors) and it sounds good too, so I'd say yes...Loving the 100 for my basses too, very versatile amp for me (I don't gig though)...ymmv...:bassist:

12. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

It will be fine....I play guitar thru my 500c all the time :bassist:

13. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    OK. So, as it looks like everyone anticipated, it works great. It gets really loud, though; so, be careful, especially when switching amps.

I played both my CV Strat and Gibson SG through it, and was quickly able to come up with some usable tones. I threw a '63 Spring reverb and just a hint of Mono Delay in the post-effects.

As expected the '59 Bassman sounds great; either playing it cleanly, or turning down the amp model's volume and cranking the gain for overdrive. Alternatively, you can use the Stompbox overdrives. I tried the standard Overdrive effect (Fender's overdrive pedal). It sounds good, but you gotta play with the tonal settings.

You really need to play with the tonal settings on everything. Remember, the defaults are set for use on a bass. Many of them have the bass turned up, and the treble turned down. So, you'll need to adjust that for use on a guitar. Also, try different cabinets. The open 4x12 cab sounds really good; but others do, too.

So, go nuts, and have fun!!!
    Hope this helps!

P.S.
    Some additional amp model observations:
    • '59 Bassman: sounds great; overdrives well
    • Dual Showman: really nice clean "chimey" sound; won't overdrive itself, though (needs an OD effect)
    • British amps (Watts (HiWatt), Colour (Orange), 70's (Marshall)): they all can sound really good, like their guitar counterparts.
    • Studio/Tube Preamps: good for a basic clean sound (neither will overdrive, though)
    • SWR Redhead: ear-piercingly clean
    • Monster: Of course it sounds good on guitar. May be what you need for a "Stoner" sound.
    Enjoy!

14. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Agreed. However, since I'm currently working from home any my Rumble 200 is in the bedroom... I keep a bass right by my workstation. Also, sitting there is a "starter" acoustic tiny little guitar amp that my son got for something like $100 during his 6 month stint with guitar. I have a bass plugged into that at very low volumes to practice during work breaks. For that, it works fine, but doesn't sound so well.

I'm planning another amp/cab for 2021, then will switch out that little guitar amp with something more appropriate.

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  15. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Glad to hear it's working, but keep those volumes low. :thumbsup:

Miles_ONeal likes this.
  16. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Absolutely.

17. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin
    Hi Everyone! Has anyone gigged with 2 -115 cabs and a rumble head? Just looking for feedback. I just got a 115 cab but wanting to get a second one for larger gigs. Or maybe I should add a 210 cab? Thanks

18. Mvf

Mvf

Feb 1, 2015
    Espoo, Finland
    I have! Very nice, loud and great sounding stack. Had 2 rumble 115 cabs connected to my rumble 500 head, sounded huge and never let me down in any gigging situation. Loved the coupling effect of the two 15:s. But I actually sold this setup, as it was just overkill for our gigs.

I started my Rumbling with a 500 combo, and later added a 115 cab to it. I loved this sound, some call it the best of two worlds. But when I got the 500 head and the second 115 cab, I new I had found my sound. I like 15:s. And it was loud.

Things and band situations change, so today I gig with one rumble 200 combo, but i’ve been thinking about picking up another for the coupling effect. The 2 * 140 w would be more than enough for my needs and would also give me a backup amp at the same time.

I also now have two 100 w rumble combos, connected together they make a really nice 200 w mini stack, that I guess will work perfect in most of my gigging situations. I have not tried this in a band situation jet, i just picked up the my second 100 for a bargain last week (paid only 160 euro for it).

All my Rumbles are v3 and I play everything from blues and soul to traditional rock through these. I play several different basses, P-bass, Hofner violin, Rickenbacker, Gibby EB3, T-bird, Jazz... and they all sound great through the Rumbles.

So to answer your question, I would get a second 115 cab, but you will not go wrong adding a 210 either. If you have a chance, try both combinations before deciding.

Miles_ONeal and EatS1stBassist like this.
  19. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin
    Mvf, thank you so much for the input. I have tried a 500c with a 115 extension cab a few months back. Great sounding rig but never tried 2- 115 cabinets a rumble head. Sounds like I might just get another 115. Thanks again!!

Miles_ONeal, EatS1stBassist and Mvf like this.
  20. G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016

Show us a pic of your Rumble(s), liney, and get a club number!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021