Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    Around $90 with a lower strap in tan tweed.
    Just used the stock size they have on file.
    Confirmed the dimensions with a tape measure.
    Post a pick when I get it.

2. ScottMatt

ScottMatt

Sep 7, 2014
    Florida
    I've been lusting after the V3 Rumbles since they were announced, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Mostly undecided on what configuration to go with. I have an idea, but I'm not certain it's possible. Seeing as how Fender does not offer a 210 cab to match with the 500 combo, would it be possible to get a second 210 combo and run it as just a cabinet off of the other head? This would solve the 210 extension cab dilemma, and also provide an additional 500w head as a back up for those worst case scenarios. I read in this thread that it could be done using the fx in/out of the two combos. Would the two 500w 210 combo stack be running at 350w, or the full 500w? Or am I just off my rocker with this train of thought? Your insight is appreciated.

3. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Each combo would be running at 350 watts. It's not that you're using the second combo in the same way as a regular, unpowered extension cab. Both combos have to be powered on. The preamp settings of the first amp would be determining the sound of both combos.

Easier options would be to find another 210 cab that you like and redo the grill cloth to match the combo (or not, your choice), or get a Rumble 115 to put under there, which is a popular option. You could also go with the 410 if you're really set on 10's, but the combo's speakers are gonna hit their limit way before the 410's will.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    The unavailability of a Rumble 210 is only a dilemma if you choose to think of it that way. The Rumble 115 option is one that is garnering tremendous accolades. Here's a link to the only person I know that has said he went with the Rumble 500 combo and Rumble 410 configuration. http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=95558 If I wanted all 10's I'd either go that route or a Rumble 500 head with either 1 or 2 Rumble 410 cabinets.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Today’s Rumble Talk puts the spotlight on the version 3’s new Vintage shape filter and also the new Overdrive in all the D-Class Rumbles.

The owner’s manual describes the Vintage tone shaping filter this way: “Creates a dark tone rich with harmonics and some natural compression.” The specifications state: “Dynamic compression (-9dB max) with low pass (-6dB/oct) @ 400Hz”. The Vintage feature on V3 is a newly developed analog circuit that emulates the input/output transfer characteristic of a single vacuum tube amplifier stage. Tubes have a natural compression when driven hard and this circuit mimics that response. Low pass filtering is applied which emphasizes the low notes to give the ‘thickening’ effect you hear.

Similar circuitry is cascaded together to generate the Overdrive on the V3, which is totally different than on V2, and is more harmonically rich without sacrificing any low end. The compression effect of both the Vintage and Overdrive is completely independent of the Delta-Comp power amp limiter, in fact the peak signal reduction from compression in the preamp tends to reduce activation of the limiter.

Rumble V3 includes an adaptation of this new tube emulating circuit with the traditional Delta-Comp limiter to give a more tube like response- initial compression followed by gentle easing into rounding of the signal without actually generating hard clipping. The result is that the harder you drive the signal; it tends to get a little ‘gritty’ but plays louder than just the original Delta-Comp limiter.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  6. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

If you slave the amps together via the effects loop, you're not bypassing either amp. Both have to be on in order for the stack to work, and each one is still running at 350 watts, for a combined total of 700w.

Still, your idea of idling one of the heads as a backup is interesting. It would need minor re-wiring, in the form of a pair of speaker jacks and a short jumper cable on the back of each combo. That wiring would allow you to safely disconnect the amp from its internal speakers, use the cab as a passive 2*10, and keep the amp turned off, as an offline backup.

This would give you a scalable rig for small to large gigs, with anything from two to four tens, and 350, 500, or 750 watts in mono or stereo. The available options would be as follows:

1. Either combo alone: 2*10, 350w.
    2. One jumper removed, that amp turned off: 4*10 vertical stack, at 500w.
    3. Jumpers in, both amps on, and placed side by side and driven by a stereo effects pedal. 350w a side in stereo, 700w total.
    4. Jumpers in, both amps on, second combo's power amp section slaved from the first via the effects loop. 4*10 vertical stack, 700w total..

One interesting side effect, is that it would give you more control over the built in limiter. Driving both cabs from one amp at 500w/4ohms would trigger the limiter at lower levels, for a smoother, more compressed sound when driven hard.

OTOH, the 700w stack with both amps on would have more headroom. It would give you more punch at the same volume, since each amp would be running about 150w shy of the limiter.

Interesting though the idea is, I wouldn't personally be in a rush to do it. Three reasons:
    1. Having spent the last 3 or 4 years with amps in the kilowatt bracket, I've become addicted to the impact and punch you get from rigs with lots of headroom. Why break out the tools to get 500 watts, when you've already got 700 at your disposal?
    2. Drilling holes in the back panel produces metal dust and shavings. If they're not carefully contained and cleaned up, they can short the amp out. Knowing that, a Fender technician doing warranty work on either of your heads is liable to jump to the conclusion that the failure was caused by the speaker jack mod. Bye-bye warranty...
    3. As good a value as the 500 combo is, a pair of them is still a significant investment. Given that the new Rumbles have a generous 5-year mfr guarantee, why risk invalidating it for a mod that's of limited value?

chupacerveza and Linnin like this.
  7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Great News! :D Fender Rumbles Are Market Leaders Outselling All Competitors! :hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

:woot: WOOT! :woot:

:laugh: Rumbles Rock, Baby, Yeah! :smug:

chupacerveza and nitrofix like this.
  8. I'm actually starting to dislike the drive option on my 40. Clean channel plus a sansamp does it for me if I want any drive. Granted, more cords and wires to deal with, but I find the amp's drive option to be too muddy for me.

I like a good clean drive sound where I can also hear the notes being played instead of having to almost guess. Just me probably. I could do away with the drive option and have more EQ options or have more options than just Vintage, Bright, and Contour.

I don't even know what the Contour option is supposed to make my bass sound like. It just sounds like I'm getting more oomph and less clarity.

chupacerveza likes this.
  9. ScottMatt

ScottMatt

Sep 7, 2014
    Florida
    Thanks for the responses Woofer, Linnin and Steve. I appreciate you playing along with my idea instead of a one sentence reply. After lurking around for sometime, I feel I've picked a good thread to start in.

I've recently gotten back into playing, and my current rig is a Fender BXR 200 into a 410 Hartke Transporter. I've really enjoyed the sound I get from the head (Especially the built in chorus. I'd run it with the rate all the way down and the depth all the way up. Added something to the tone that I liked.), but seeing as how it's 15 or so years old, it has seen better days. This is what has drawn me to look into the new Fender amps. Maybe I'd be better of just getting the 500w head for the Hartke, with the possibility of grabbing a smaller combo for in house practice/lugging to the jam space. The only one I have gotten to play on so far was the 200w combo, and I really enjoyed the tone I was getting.

10. steve_rolfeca

Following along on Linnin's comments about the Delta-comp limiter: I'm not too sure that the drivers in the 500 combo would ever hit their mechanical limits, regardless of what extension cab you stacked them with.

I'm basing this on past experience with the smaller Rumbles and the models that preceded them. The limiter was used as built-in speaker protection, perfectly set to save you from your own stupidity.

The thing that I used to love about the old Rad Bass/BXR/Rumble 25, was that it was the perfect loaner amp. Even with all the knobs dimed, you couldn't get that little 10" driver to fart out on a low B, and the only way to kill one was to set it on fire or throw it in the pool.

I'd be curious to hear from Rumble 500 V3 owners whether it's gain-staged the same way. If so, then the 2*10 over 4*10 stack wouldn't put the combo's drivers at risk, because the weakest link would set the maximum output level...

11. Interesting.

And I was thinking, with everyone saying how loud the 500 combo gets, how hard would you have to run it to even get to the point of danger with a 4x10 extension? And even though the 2x10's we're being pushed harder than the 4x10's, they are each only getting 250w, correct? So the 2x10's would still be in a pretty safe range, if not eq'd in a crazy way.
    Correct me if my thinking is wrong.

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I never did understand the histrionic prognostications of ctataclismic gloom & doom in the first place. The thing is there never was any 'point of danger' in running the Rumble 500 combo on top of the Rumble 410. Bass players have been running a 2x10 cab atop a 410 for many years without the voice coils bursting into the flames of Hades. No difference in using a 2x10 combo in such an array rather than a head for amplification. The "coupling effect" that the 410 cab exhibits will be that much stronger in the resulting 610 configuration. Just like a 610 or 810 cab does.

:cool: Rock Like A Rumblecain! :cool:

chupacerveza likes this.
  13. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    As I understand it, when running the 210 combo on top of a 410, each cab is getting 250 watts to divide amongst its complement of speakers. So each speaker in the 210 is getting 125 watts, whereas each speaker in the 410 will get 62.5 watts. That's where my reasoning that the 210 will hit its mechanical limits before the 410 will came from.

Still, Steve's probably right. You could probably run the combo atop the 410 without worrying about the speakers in the combo too much, just keep your ears open.

14. steve_rolfeca

Where did you catch all these histrionics? All I've seen was a few people asking reasonable questions.

BTW, bassists have been blowing up drivers since the dawn of time. You may not have experienced it personally if you've been running relatively low-wattage heads with limiters, but that doesn't make your experience universal.

Talk to repairmen: off the top of my head, I can't think of a single brand or size of driver that I haven't seen go when treated with a lack of respect.

As a tech, I'm supposed to know better, but over the last 40 years I've personally blown and either re-coned or replaced about a dozen drivers in my own cabs. Depending on the drivers and the vintage, I've done it with 90 watt tube heads, 100, 200, and 300 watt SS, and hybrids at 220 and 400.

Woofer likes this.
  15. It's been just over a month since I did my first post here on the TB forums and got my Rumble Club number, even though I hadn't received my new rig yet - I ordered a v3 500 watt combo and v3 410 extension cabinet at the beginning of June and waited patiently for 2 solid months to finally get the chance to pick up my new rig in its entirety in August. One jam session and 3 gigs later I'd like to post on my experience. One word... WOW!! I've always been a fan of Fender gear, especially the look of the classic Bassman amps. I really dig the recreation of the vintage style in these affordable new Rumble v3's.

I chose the 500 watt combo and 410 extension cabinet on the basis of having ample power and headroom while performing at smaller outdoor venues or even indoors with the 500 watt combo, and the band I joined have always tended to perform heavily in the summer months at outdoor festivals and events - which is where I chose to compliment the 500 watt combo with the 410 extension cabinet. Let me tell you, these Rumbles deliver!! I've used the 500 watt combo on its own for two performances, one at a bar, and one semi-outdoors in an old machine shop for a private party with the bay doors open. The 500 watt combo on its own drastically outperforms my aging Fender BXR100 that it replaced. It has great clarity and is able to make my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass "growl" stand out in the mix with little effort. It was able to keep up with the rest of the five piece ensemble (lead, rhythm, bass, vocals and drums), with headroom to spare. We play mostly classic rock with a mix of original southern rock material.

I've also had the opportunity to run the entire rig including the 410 extension cabinet at one single outdoor festival. The venue had some challenges in terms of scheduling and execution (which I won't go in to more detail), but for the mere 35 minutes that our performance actually lasted, it was well worth it to finally perform with both the combo and cabinet together. Paired together, the rig has a stereophonic characteristic that rings with even more clarity, without adding unwanted boom or muddy tones. It is a far cry from the washed out and muddy tone I was getting from my underpowered 115 Fender BXR100, which always got used as a stage monitor and relied on FOH PA support, yet still couldn't keep up on stage. I've had no concerns with driving the new rig too hard in any way, as I mentioned before there is lots of headroom in the 610 configuration.

Some comments I have received from our phenomenal drummer (and best friend) are that "I can finally hear all those funky fills that you play", or even "though I can't hear any of the vocals from the stage monitors, I just sync up to those bass lines and ride it out perfectly".

Since it has only been just over a month since having the rig, I'm still experimenting with the tonal qualities from the EQ. I've found a decent growl and enough lows even keeping things nearly all at 12 o'clock. At the last outdoor performance I had the following settings:

Gain: 2 o'clock (to get a mildly driven sound without overdrive)
    Low: 1 o'clock (to boost the lows just a bit for a wide open nearly ground level stage)
    Low Mid: 1 o'clock
    High Mid: 11 o'clock
    High: 11 o'clock
    No Bright, Contour or Vintage enabled, and no tweeters on

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my upgrade to my new Rumble v3 rig and I'm not looking back.

I saw some mention of amp covers just a few posts ago, so I wanted to throw a shout out to Canadian-based custom dealer called Coveramp based in Montreal Canada (sorry, couldn't do a link just yet since I haven't posted enough). I wrapped both my 500 watt combo and 410 extension cabinet with their hand made covers, and I am absolutely thrilled with the end result. It is run by a couple, Pierre and Nancy, who provide top notch service. I gave them my measurements and Pierre responded within their guaranteed 12 hours and added both items to their online store for me to validate and review the quote. Pierre quickly picked out that I had made a mistake in the measurements for the 410 extension cabinet along the way and asked me to re-check them. I sent him the corrected values after coming home from work one day, and received a shipping notice for the entire order the next day. I was floored that they were able to finish both covers in such a short time (4 days total from time of purchase), and shipping was fast because I'm in Ontario. They use a high quality and durable synthetic leather, and can provide anything from no padding, to just front padding for the speaker grill, all the way up to full padding on all sides. You can choose things like the colour of the stitching and extra pockets if desired as well. Without asking, they even take extra care to provide extra padding around any dials and control knobs (like on the top and rear of the 500 watt combo).

I've added some pics of my new Rumbles for your visual enjoyment, both wrapped and unwrapped... Rumbles Rock!!

IMG_2094.jpg IMG_2097.jpg IMG_2101.jpg IMG_2099.jpg IMG_2093.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  16. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Does anybody know what type of speakers they use in the Combos? I'd like to build a pair of 2-10's for my V2 head, but I really like the sound of the v3 speakers and they seem to be rated either 4 or 16 ohms so they would be perfect for an 8 Ohms 2-10.

17. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    They're Eminence ceramics, not sure of the exact model #.

chupacerveza likes this.
  18. Bassplayer315

Bassplayer315 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hey, Member #125 reporting in. I was still lugging my V2 Rumble 150 around for larger gigs and loving the ease of transporting my V3 Rumble 100 for smaller gigs so I loaded the 150 in the car and headed over to my local music store hoping to leave with a V3 200. I walk in and there it was. Now I picked up the 150 during the closeout of the V2's and paid $249 a few months ago. I was hoping to walk out paying around $200 after trade. There was 5 rental students in line to pick up their rentals so I sat and played around, when the sales guys was free he thanked me for waiting and said he would do a full return on my V2 150 and my bill was $113 out the door. Talk about a return policy, I had the V2 for at least 3-4 months and got full store credit cause I had to wait around. I now have the V3 40, 100 and 200. Think I have all the bass's covered. I did not have much time to play the new 200 but look forward to rehearsal tonight. I now own 3 different V3 Rumbles and they all do their job well.

chupacerveza, pbassrules and Linnin like this.
  19. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    according to the specs I would say something like a beta (the 4-10 is rated 1000w, the beta 250)

20. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :woot: Dude! :woot: How freakin' fantastic is that?! :thumbsup: I see a Fender Rumble 500 in your future :smug:

:cool: Rumble On With Your Bad Self! :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021