1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble Combo Amp Bypass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Elder Rynok, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Elder Rynok

Elder Rynok

Feb 23, 2016
    So, I had to make the sacrifice of getting a Fender Rumble Combo unit when my old amp died. However, I will soon have saved up enough to start working on my real setup. What I want to know, is if it is possible to bypass the Preamp and powered amp on a combo Rumble (500w, so generally equal to the 2x10) and buy my amp first? I also want to keep the rumble for the future just for the mere fact of how light it is. I'm planning on a Gallien-Krueger (leaning toward MB500, but posting a seperate thread for advice on that) to go with my Gibson Thunderbird. I have been searching on Talkbass for a day or 2, but may have missed if this has already been discussed, so please don't be mad.

2. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    so basically you want to use the speaker only of the rumble with another head?

btw, the GK MB500 is a really nice head, imo.

3. Elder Rynok

Elder Rynok

Feb 23, 2016
    That is exaclty right, but unfortunately I have the combo unit because is was the best unit available from my normal shop with a short notice before a gig.
    The clips I have heard sound amazing. I have always been a huge Ampeg guy, but the MB500 clips I've heard online sound pretty amazing.

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    You'll need to irreversibly modify your Rumble voiding your warranty.

5. Elder Rynok

Elder Rynok

Feb 23, 2016
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of...

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    If you don't like it just trade it in on something you do.

7. Elder Rynok

Elder Rynok

Feb 23, 2016
    It's not that I don't like it, I actually really do, and I want to keep it as a backup/light carry. But I want to get back into an Ampeg or now potentially a GK, but don't have my Ampeg cab anymore (long story). Wife doesn't understand the equipment itch, so I can only really push a new amp now, and the cab a little later (we're trying to get pregnant so...).

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Happy Wife = Happy Life
    :cool: Rumble On! :cool:

9. Actually, you might be able to "reversibly" modify the combo. But you still void the warranty even if you reverse the mod.
    I would say that because you had to ask about doing what you propose, that you probably do not have the skills needed to complete the mod by yourself. If it is still under warranty and the warranty has not been voided, then sell it and let someone else use it and have something that still has some of the transferable warranty left on it. Then put the money towards what you want. Or keep it and love it just the way it is.

10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I'd save up for the setup I really wanted, and sell the Rumble after I got it.

Or you could just get a Rumble 210 cab to use as an extension for the 500 combo, which would be a killer rig, light, loud, and flexible without breaking the bank and annoying the missus. It wouldn't be Ampeg of course, but that might be no bad thing these days...:)

Old Garage-Bander likes this.