Fender Rumble Or Bassman?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGuitarNerd, Apr 3, 2005.

1. I am looking for a good 100 Watt combo and I have come across the Fender line of bass amps. They are cheap, and from what I have heard, produce a great sound. I see that they have the Rumble 100 Watt combo and the Bassman 100 Watt combo. Is there a big difference between these two? should I buy something else besides Fender? Of course I will try them both out at the store, but I was wondering if anyone has had any first hand experience and could tell me a little more about them. Thanks in advance. :smug:
  2. bigjoe

Feb 26, 2005
    I used a rumble for a while and personally I didn't like it. It appeared weak in sound and design. I was never really able to find a tone I genuinely liked and often the speakers would sound like they were on the verge of distorting, even though there was nothing wrong with them (I had the whole amp checked). If you ran the bass above flat on the eq it would sound like you'd maxed it and would be way too much. And I wasn't using bad basses through it either, for the band I used this amp in I used a Musicman S.U.B and a Warwick Corvette Standard, so the problem didn't lie there. Maybe I just got a bad one. Even though I don't have the same level of experience with them, I would suggest the Bassman.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For a while I used a Bassman 100 (115 speaker + horn) for practice and it was ok, but I felt that I just got lost in the mix. It would be good for a lower volume band though.
  4. Thanks for the advice. All I really need it for is practice with a drummer. We arn't really at the stage where we do shows yet.
  5. I have no experience with the Bassman, but the 400watt version is awsome. I have a Rumble 100 and am really happy with it - for its price, I have yet to come across an equal. It has a really tight sound for a 15 and have found it sounds best with the eq flat, but thats probably just because I like the raw sound of my guitar...

Don't expect anything more than just the 100watts that it has though, it won't stand upto a very loud drummer or a 100watt tube guitar stack.

It doesn't have an extra cab out, so you can't hook it upto more cabs either...
  6. I would say go for the bassman. I own one myself, and it has pretty good mid for 100 watt. As one of the TBer said, it doesn't cut through very well, but as always, you can boost the mid to cut through the mix. Trust me, it works.