Fender rumble v3 for upright?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fuzzy beard, May 26, 2014.

1. Was chatting with another upright bass player and we got talking about amps. And the rumble v3 series came up. He said he thought he read somewhere that the designers from genz Benz worked on the newest line of rumble amps.

So that leaves me wondering the genz Benz amps where liked by many for upright. If the genz Benz guys did do the new rumbles did they bring any of that magic over with them?

Anyone try any of the rumble v3 amps yet?

2. I purchased a V3 200w with a 15. I was going for something light weight and easily carried for mid-sized club gigs.
    I bought it totally on sound alone. In my opinion out "sounded" 4-5 music store competitors.
    With the upright I have been testing the amp in a studio room about 14 by 14 with accoustic treatment on the walls and it is plenty loud at about a quarter of the master. To my ear the eq can be dialed in to my taste.
    With the eq flat I thought it captured the sound of the bass(with gut strings) pretty well.
    I am impressed, especially for the price. I haven't had time to try it into the console yet.

3. slinkyphil

slinkyphil

Jan 11, 2009
    Anyone else? I'm thinking of buying one to use with the electric and the upright. I did a concert and the only bass amp that was on this venue's backline list was the Rumble. I was really impressed! Then I tried to lift it and was more impressed! Then I got home and saw the price... Wow!
    It was probably the best sound I had with the upright on a bass amp... I really dont know if I should get this or something more specific (and expensive) like a clarus and wizzy cab :s

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    johnny_bolt likes this.
  4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I'm also favorably impressed by the Rumbles and think they represent an excellent value for the money. That said, I'll use one if that's what's at the venue, but I don't own one and wouldn't trade my AI cabs for one.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have the 500W V3 head. Used with a Bergantino HT112 cab, I needed to EQ pretty drastically to match the response of the Walter Woods head I normally use (I have two of the cabs, used an A/B box to switch between amps when dialing in the Rumble). I zeroed out the low mids for starters...way too hyped in that band, which does sound nice with BG.

Other than the oddball EQ I needed to dial in, it's a decent amp head. It sounds grittier than the Woods which isn't surprising for an amp that's only 1/5 the price.

6. slinkyphil

slinkyphil

Jan 11, 2009
    I have an headway EDB2 and it worked out pretty well. I didn't tried the fx return.. . Do you use your woods with the Bergantino?
    Since I have the preamp the thing that worries me the most is probably the cab

7. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I have a Rumble 40 for small jazz gigs and it's exactly what I need. I usually turn the bass control on the amp way down and turn the mids up a bit the get the sound that works for me. Don't be afraid to turn the knobs. Nice and lightweight.

slinkyphil likes this.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have been very favorably impressed by the little Rumble amps. The Rumble 40 with a single 10" speaker and the Rumble 100 with a 12" are exceptional bargains at $200 and $300, respectively. have used them often during the Aebersold workshops over the past few years and all of the faculty seem to like them.

slinkyphil likes this.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yes, for BG and doubling gigs.

10. smythe5

smythe5

May 11, 2010
    I have a Rumble 100. I dig it alright for electric but for acoustic I find it drastically lacking in definition. Bottom end is ok.... Honestly I'm not digging it right now for upright stuff. Too tubby and zero high end.

11. I will be using a Rumble 500 head through a Acme Low B2 cab whenever I get around to installing a pickup on my double bass. Good to hear that the rumbles seem to work well.

12. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I just picked up a 100 to replace the WM 12 house amp we've used for 11 years. Thanks for the info, Chris!

precision61 and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  13. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    The Rumble amps are great! And easily found in stores to audition, or with online dealers who offer easy no questions asked returns. :)

14. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I recently bought a 40 from another TBer, @slap2much . He had been doing some speaker swaps in it as well as port/cabinet tuning - added some cell foam lining in certain areas, and he replaced the cardboard ports with slightly longer plastic ports. I had him reinstall a Baselite S2010 speaker. Bottom line was that he was able to increase volume a little bit and took off a couple of lbs of weight as well. Sounds great to me. Of course I don't have another 40 to compare it with, but I'm pretty sure the upgrades have accomplished what he was after.