1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble V3 mod: separating amp and speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric_B, Apr 13, 2016.

1. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    For a while I thought it would be cool if I could use my Fender Rumble V3 100 as a cabinet for an external amp.
    Following an idea of @AstroSonic, I decided to do this mod and also be able to use the amp to power other speakers.
    While I was at it, I also upgraded the stock speaker to an Eminence Deltalite II 2512.

The essence is that you disconnect the internal cable from the amp to the speaker and create a loop on the outside of the combo with 2 connectors so you are free to patch.

Here is a set of pictures of the process.

The main parts:
    20160413-IMG_1214.jpg

20160413-IMG_1221.jpg

Stock Rumble:
    20160413-IMG_1224.jpg

20160413-IMG_1222.jpg

I already lined the inside last year: 20160413-IMG_1226.jpg

Marking out the place to cut the hole with tape: 20160413-IMG_1229.jpg

First cutting out the covering to double check if the dimensions are correct: 20160413-IMG_1230.jpg

Hole cut and screw holes drilled: 20160413-IMG_1231.jpg

Connections soldered:
    20160413-IMG_1232.jpg

20160413-IMG_1235.jpg

Deltalite 2512 II put in place:
    20160413-IMG_1237.jpg

Panel mounted:
    20160413-IMG_1241.jpg

20160413-IMG_1242.jpg

Jumper cable ready:
    20160413-IMG_1240.jpg

20160413-IMG_1246.jpg
    The internal amp is going out the right connector and is looped back into the cabinet through the left connector which is wired to the speaker.

Final word: it is a pretty straight forward mod, it works fine and looks not too crappy (at least IMO).
    I just need to put 2 stickers on it to mark the amp and speaker connectors. And be sure not to connect an external amp to the internal one, that probably won't be a good idea!

One thing that I found a bit annoying was that the Neutrik speakon/jack combo connectors are not pure black but have a greenish tint.
    Though it looks worse on the pictures with the flash light than in real life.

I'll see how I like it on the long run and maybe I'll mod my V3 500 combo as well.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Interesting. I ended up buying a power amp to take the effects out line from my Rumble 100 V3 and drive additional cabs. I am pretty happy with its preamp sound for my purposes.

Your mod is great for multi-purpose use. It's a fine cabinet.

Stumbo likes this.
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff, but what is the purpose of this mod? Is it to be able to just us the combo as a cab, or can you still us it as a combo? Also what is the unattached brown speaker wire for?

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

My only question when i see a post such as yours is did you ensure that the 2512 was a suitable match for the volume and porting of the cabinet? If you did not, the upgrade could in fact be a downgrade.

I like that you used SpeakOns and chose to link rather than use a switch. That gives you a lot of versatility which is what you were aiming for. May I suggest that you make a few of the link cables to carry with you. If you lose the cable you’d be lost at a session without it. :)

B-string likes this.
  5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

With the jumper on the last pic connected it is just like the original combo (electronically). The two speakons can allow you to drive a different external cab with the amp head or use a different amp head to drive the speaker (internal amp not used).

6. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    But can you still use the combo on its own?

7. B-string

Yes so long as that jumper is in place. Without the jumper it is like a seperate amp head and cab, they are separated with no connected speaker cable.

AstroSonic likes this.
  8. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Wait I think I got it now. The RIGHT speakon will allow you to connect an external speaker to use with the combo, and when the jumper is installed you can use the combo as regularly intended?

9. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Also you can connect an amp to the LEFT to use as just a speaker cab?

10. B-string

The right (viewed from the rear) is the amp head speaker output just like from an amp head (in an oversized box). The Left is the speaker cab input (with an unused amp head in the box). Connect the two and it is a combo, disconnect it and they are separate pieces.

11. B-string

Yep, you got it.

12. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Right, that's the thought behind this mod.

B-string likes this.
  13. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Will you still be able to use the combo with an extension cab as originally designed?

musicman666 likes this.
  14. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    The V3 100 doesn't have the option of an external speaker. That option is for the 200 and 500 V3 combos.

Double E likes this.
  15. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    So then the answer to my question would be no...

16. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    What if you did this mod to a 200 or 500? Then you could still add an extension cab as long as the jumper was installed.

17. B-string

With those you could. The Rumble 100 was never designed to run an extension cab. So there is no loss of original function with the 100, only added flexibility with the mod.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Nice work @eric_B! :thumbsup:
    I know that Deltalite is going to sound really good! :woot:
    Did you ever get around to gluing in the acoustic foam damping material?
    :cool: Rumble On! :cool:

19. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Agreed. And he didn't have to know how to (re)design the whole thing!

20. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Nice.

I dig it.
    Practical, and fun.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021