1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble V3 mod: separating amp and speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric_B, Apr 13, 2016.

1. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    is the stock driver 4 ohms? Is the replacment 4 or 8ohms? I guess I'm just thinking you could have possibly just modded the rumble 100v3 to drive an additional external 8ohm cab, IF the original speaker was 4ohms and the replacement was 8ohms.
    In fact if you did 8ohm driver, and the external cab has a passthrough speakon you could do that now with 100v3 head to external, external to internal.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I would bet the stock amp is only stable down to 8 ohm loads, most smaller combo amps are that way.

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No, it is 8.

4. bnolsen

bnolsen

Jan 30, 2014
    denver area
    thanks, learn something every day right?

B-string and Linnin like this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    It's in the manual. The Rumble 100 is an in house Fender designed D-class power section (rather than ICEPower) and designed to run at 8 ohms. I do not know if it is 4 ohms stable. For those with plenty of $$$ try it and find out. For the rest of us .......

AstroSonic and Double E like this.
  6. You did a nice job. Looks good.
    I think it is standard that the combination 1/4"-Speakon connectors are green so as to distinguish them from the ones w/o 1/4".

65 P and B-string like this.
  7. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks!

Yes, I guessed the thought behind the green color but would have preferred black ones, they just look better.
    They also could have put a red dot on them or something like that.
    But the combo connectors are more flexible and that was most important to me.

8. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Linnin!
    And yes, I put in some foam on the back, top and one of the sides, works fine.
    One thing I will try is if closing the bass ports will improve the sound with the Deltalite.

9. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    This thought come to my mind as well: can the internal amp handle 4 Ohms?
    Would that bring up the power to around 140W, just like the 200 and 500 8 vs 4 ohms 0,7x factor?

10. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    200 at 8 ohms (8 ohm internal speaker only) is 140w rms
    200 at 4 ohms (8 || 8 = 4 ohms) is 200w rms

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Is that from Fender for that specific model the OP owns? I don't think the 100 was designed for lower ohm loads, doing so could permanently damage the amp if not designed for that load.
    The OP has the Rumble 100 112.

12. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Yes. Unless I'm mistaken someone above asked about 200. The OP has 100. But also the 100 isn't stock anymore. But i was only referencing the 200 combo.

13. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    Combining 8 in parallel with 8 = 4.
    Generally running at 4 (if amp speced for it, will give you it's full power. Running at 8 (half load) will give you some fraction of full.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  14. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    But I understand your question now.

B-string likes this.
  15. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Yes, but would 4 ohms already cause this? Does the design of the 100 amp differ much from the 200 and 500 which can take 4 ohms?

16. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    Very cool mod. Is the 12" speaker in the combo the same one used in the 1x12 cab? If so this would be a great setup being able to just use the 100 combo at times with the option of having a 200 head running the converted cab when called for.

17. Cool mod.

I had assumed the R100 was 4 ohms and that was why there was no ext cab option.
    Learn something new everyday.

18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No. The woofer in the Rumble 112 has a larger voice coil and heavier magnet for greater power handling capacity.

AstroSonic and nico485 like this.
  19. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    This mod would be super cool if you could run an extension cab in combination with the internal speaker but based on Linnin's info that is really not an option. So you can only connect the amp an extension cab with a 8 ohm load without daisy chaining back to the internal speaker or use the combo as a dedicated 8 ohm cab for a separate amplifier.

Nice job on the mod though, very neat. Please give us a review on the tone with the replacement driver.

20. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    The answer is that this particular model wasn't capable of what you asked in your question.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021