1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble V3 mod: separating amp and speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric_B, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Probably most players who upgrade speakers just work with the stock tuning options (sealed, one port, both ports), with many just doing plug-n-play. Any bass driver that fits will 'work'. If the cab is closed back (sealed or ported) bass will likely be at least passably produced, although a few chance combinations will fail dismally or produce exceptional results. Chances are that altering the stock tuning based on results from a modeling tool and fine tuning by ear will produce notably better results at very little additional cost. Glad you are pleased with both the Jack plate mod and speaker upgrade. The v3 Rumbles are a great modification platform.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    eric_B likes this.
  2. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    @eric_B i have a question for you since my knowledge is limited on this kind of thing.

I'm thinking about doing a similar mod to my 40 combo but with an upgraded speaker. I want to be able to use the amp as just a cab when I plug in a speaker cable. But Id rather not use the two jack, external loop method. Is there a way to wire a speaker jack that disconnects the amp when plugged into. Ive read of the opposite, defeating the internal speaker on a combo. Or would just wiring both amp and internal speaker to the speaker jack be ok? Since I won't be turning the amp on when I'm using it as an extension cab anyways. Any help is appreciated!

3. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    If you don't want the external loop then I would find a jack with built in switch that would break the connection between the 40's amp and speaker.
    Running an external amp parallel to both the 40's amp and speaker doesn't seem like a good idea to me., it could damage the amp, wether on or not.

nico485 likes this.
  4. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    Ok. Thanks man. Yea someone just said same thing over in the Rumble thread. I'll get one of those jacks. And I wire it so the amp is what disconnects instead of the speaker when a plug is inserted I'm assuming?

5. I've modified my Rumble 40 using 2 connectors and the loop, and with a driver upgrade (Fender Rumble v3 40 - First Impressions). I prefer the loop method because it allows the internal amplifier to be used as a backup (for small gigs), it keeps switches out of the speaker/amplifier circuit (greater reliability) and it's simpler. Jack switch corrosion and failure is one of the most common causes of amplifier failure discussed on TB. This forum has threads with such failures quite frequently, perhaps once a week. While it's easily fixed, I chose to avoid it. YMMV

Scatabrain likes this.
  6. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Yes. Take @AstroSonic remarks in consideration though, I have no experience with jack switches.

A workaround could be the external loop but with no jack connection for the amp output but just a cable with a jack going out of the combo which patches back to the jack connector to the combo speaker. No (dual amp) mistakes to be made but less flexible. And relying on a good quality cable plus jack.

That Old Guy likes this.
  7. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    Alright, I appreciate the info from you and @AstroSonic . Ill see what parts I can round up and do some tinkering haha.

8. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Good luck and let us know what you come up with!

9. nico485

nico485

Sep 10, 2010
    Arkansas, USA
    Well I think I've talked myself out of it for now. Leave well enough alone and all. I love it the way it is and I really have no need for another cab right now. I have two setups for two different situations and they are doing me just fine. Thanks for all the info though. Never know I might get extra bored one day lol.

10. I like the idea of using combo Speakons.
    I plan to do this on my Rumble 200 combo.
    I also plan to orient the connectors vertically.
    In my work, we use a lot of patch panels for routing signals around the plant.
    The convention is that outputs (or amps) are on the top and inputs (or speakers) are on the bottom.
    Having the vertical arrangement woukd help me keep track of in/outs because that's what I'm used to.
    For others since the amp is on top and speaker on the bottom (in the combo) this may help too.
    But then one could always label the connectors as well. :p

11. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Using vertical connectors is a good idea, like you said: the flow from top to bottom seems natural.
    Good luck with your project!

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  12. Little Rock

Little Rock Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Montreal, Canada
    Very interesting mod, eric_B!
    I have a this exact same combo and i find the sound a bit boxy (hard to explain).
    Did you notice any difference after you added the foam, still using the original speaker?

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Please make sure than when you use the combo as a cab you don’t connect the external amp into the internal amps output. That would be very bad for both amps.

AstroSonic and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Further to my above thought, I would be inclined to use a 2 pole SpeakOn for the internal amps output. Use a two pole plug on one end of the link cable. A four pole on the other. The cabinet inlet make a 4 pole. Use 4 pole on each end of your speaker cable for use with another amp. As a 4 pole plug will NOT fit into a 2 pole socket this would prevent the possibility of screwing up your connections.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  15. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Good idea. Another one would be to use a jack connector for the output and a speakon for the input.

AstroSonic and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

In my world there is little place for phone plugs on speaker cables. I left them behind years ago.

17. johnny_bolt

johnny_bolt

Mar 28, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Would you happen to have a photo of the back of the stock speaker? It'd be really interesting to see the label, as well as the construction.

18. Steven Wesson

Steven Wesson

Nov 17, 2016
    Not sure how relevant this is, but I did this exact project, by physically seperating the amp into the head and cab. I built a housing for the electronics out of aluminum sheet metal and put in a speakon output. IMG_0935.JPG IMG_0935.JPG IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0931.JPG

cratz2, Heavy Blue, iammr2 and 4 others like this.
  19. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Nice job! The only downside may be you have all connections on top.
    However you can physically take your amp and put it were you want.
    Did you try it with other cabs?

20. Steven Wesson

Steven Wesson

Nov 17, 2016
    Not yet, I'll have to check out what impedance ratings the cab would have to have. Having the connections on top actually isn't that bad. It makes it look pretty ugly on top with the effects lop cables, XLR, and speakon terminal but it's very easy to work with.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021