1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble V3 mod: separating amp and speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eric_B, Apr 13, 2016.

1. stagnacja

stagnacja

Apr 1, 2014
    I also upgraded the stock speaker to an Eminence Deltalite II 2512.

Combo is louder after speaker upgrade ?

2. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I would say the Deltalite is more sensitive than the stock speaker so it is louder with the same volume setting but I could not compare both speakers at maximum volume.
    The Deltalite is brighter sounding though.

3. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Did you leave the ports just the open holes or did you use port tubes.

I loaded my 40 with the delta lite also

thanks LennyJ

4. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I left them open but port tubes might be interesting to try.
    The Delta Lite is a great speaker for the Rumbles, right?
    Although the stock one isn't half bad either.

As an update to this thread: my modded Rumble is still working great after almost 2 years.
    Also connecting an additional cab works fine even though the amp was not designed for it.
    I do keep the volume settings moderate.

AstroSonic and Linnin like this.
  5. Did you get around to modding your 500 combo as well?
    I am looking to do the mod on mine, but I might go with regular 6.35 mm connectors like the external speaker output on the combo. Good idea or bad?
    I really like the idea to separate head from cab, and to be able to use an external head to run the two 210s together.

6. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    No, I didn't try modding the 500C yet but it should work the same, albeit with one difference: there is a separate connection for the tweeter, so you have 2 pairs of wires:

20160417-IMG_1281.jpg

So you have to check which pair goes to the tweeter and which to the 2 woofers.
    Then only cut the pair going to the woofers and leave the other to the tweeter intact so you can use the switch to turn it on or off.

6.35 jacks should work fine. Just make sure you never connect an external amp to the 500C amp connector, that will more than likely cause problems. But that goes for every type of connector of course.

And be sensible when connecting cabs, don't go lower than 4 ohms total for the 500C amp.
    And don't blame me for any problems ;)

dralionux likes this.
  7. Nice, thanks for the info!
    I was perhaps thinking of soldering a 90-degree 6.35 plug from the amp head, and only have one "hole" into the speakers. To make sure nothing can get connected wrong, and I don't see myself plugging the head into another cab (since I already have that option on the standard combo).
    What kind of ohm situations do I get from separating the head from the cabs - let's say if I lend my rig to another band for a gig? What do I tell the other guy that wants to plug in his/her head? :) Are both the cabs 4 ohms?

8. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    So you only want an external amp input for the 2 speakers of the 500C?
    How will you disconnect the internal amp from the speakers, with a switch?
    Even when the power is off, the external amp would be putting signal into the 500C amp which does not seem like a good idea to me.

Thinking about it: unless there is internal circuitry causing problems (which I don't consider likely), you just remove the pair of wires going from the amp into the 2 500C speakers and connect an external 6.35 mm jack to them. Then the speakers aren't connected internally but you use the speaker extension of the 500C amp to connect them (the outside loop).
    When using the 210, connect to that cab first and then another cable back to the 500C speakers.

The 500C and 210 cabs are 8 ohms, so 4 ohms when used together (wired in parallel).

9. Yes, that's how I'm thinking. If it all works, it could transform the combo either into a stack with the extra cab or, a 2 x 210 cab set that will accomodate any head?

10. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Yes, it will :)

11. We'll do a show in Utrecht on May 13th, perhaps you can come by and check it out when it's done!

12. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Hey, that would be cool, where are you playing?

13. At ACU.
    It’s my band Cities of Mars and also Nekromant from Sweden doing a 10-date tour.

14. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Linnin - Duke was right. Since my 40 upgrade, I have been using just the amp just for small gigs. And for the big stuff I run the amp direct out to the pa, and also mike the speaker for a mix of everything.

Duke - how true how true!!!!!

AstroSonic, eric_B and Linnin like this.
  15. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Cool, I'll see if I can make it.

Danne Palm likes this.
  16. Ordered the hardware today, will update with pics when I make the actual surgery.

17. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Cool, good luck!

18. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thank you for your job!
    I have a rumble 100 v3 which is broken, so I am trying to change it to a cabinet.
    As I know, the amp uses 8-ohm speaker, is it correct?
    Also, I have a lot of ports, so I think I can change one of the ports (like foot switch or send/return port) for speaker in. Do you think it works? can I just solder cabinet wire to one of the port?

19. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Yes, the stock speaker is 8 ohms.
    Are you sure the amp is broken, not the speaker?

I would not recommend using one of the amps connectors to feed an external amp into it as it would be going the amp, maybe causing all kind of problems.
    If the amp is broken, you can use the chassis, remove the inner circuitry and use one of the holes to put a new jack into and solder it to the internal speaker.

20. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thanks, the speaker problem is the worst case that I can think right now. I will go to local repair shop and ask a quote. If the repair cost is higher than $100, I will try to mod this to a cabinet. Thanks anyway!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021