1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Rumble V3 tone: Is it the amp, the speaker encl. or both?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassometer, Jan 14, 2017.

1. I recently accepted a Fender Rumble V3 25 watt combo as trade for an old EMG PJ set I wasn't using. I am impressed with the tone this little amp has! I am not an amp snob (or maybe I am?) but it just sounds so good with my Peavey Cirrus, Jazz & Pbass. I like the tone so much that I am curious about the rest of the V3 line up. Here are my questions:

- If I buy a Fender RV3 500 head and use it with my GK NEO 112 ii's will I get a similar or close enough sound or is more of that tone coming from the FRV3 cabs?

- As much as I like this tone I am a bit worried that it won't cut through very well in a gigging situation, can anyone comment in this respect.

My regular set up is: Quilter BB800 or Aguilar TH 350, 2 x GK NEO 112 ii's or UBER 410T-4. The two settings I use on the 25 are: EQ set flat (noon) or B - 10:00, M - noon, T - 10:00.

I know from experience that the best way to answer these questions are to just buy one, test it out and sell it if it's not a good fit. Or lug my cabs to the closest Fender dealer and slug it out. I'd rather avoid both if I can.

2. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Having run the V3 head through other cabs, it is definitely the head. Not that it's bad, but if that's not your tone, try something else

3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Rumble combos; heads, and cabinets are all designed to compliment each other. Check out the many hundreds of rave reviews; praise reports, and gig reports in the Fender Rumble Club. Just buy a Rumble 500 head and test it out at home; rehearsal, or gig.

4. Yes, I think that is a good idea. There are a few in the classifieds

Linnin likes this.
  5. I find the Rumble preamps to be quite flexible, allowing a wide range of bass tones. The amps are smooth and clear, and overload gracefully. However, the Fender Rumble tone is characterized by a relatively strong mid-bass which is due almost entirely to the cabs. The heads will not deliver this by themselves. IME...

6. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    After playing through a few Rumble combos and a few head and cab combinations, I think the tone carries with the head. I like what the head does with other cabs much more than with the combos or Rumble cabs.

7. My GK NEO 112ii;s have a strong mid bass response too

Linnin likes this.
  8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes, they do. You'll find the Rumble 500 an excellent match.

9. I stumbled across a good deal on a Rumble 200 v3 head so I bought it. I am really enjoying the tones.

AstroSonic likes this.