Fender S-1 Switching System P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Anyone played a 2003 Fender P-bass with that new switching system? It's supposed to switch the pickup from series to parallel. They say it will sound brighter, more like a J-bass. Might make the P more slap happy.

How does it sound?
  2. Come on.....I know someone has played one of these bass. How do they sound?
  3. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I wasn't impressed . . .

It sounds like it mostly just scoops the low mids. When you switch from the standard mode to the alternate mode it sounds like its been neutered.

I suppose the variety might be useful for some obscure situation, but it seems like I could achieve the same result by turning down the low mids on my amp.

The switch is pretty well concealed, but you can still see the outline of the button. I would rather have seen a push-pull volume or tone knob, something that doesn't affect the appearance at all. Either make it completely concealed or just add a switch somewhere. The recessed button seems kind of contrived and lame.

At least in the normal mode it still sounds like a P-bass, and the cost was not increased over the 2002 model.

And the butterscotch blonde w/black pickguard and maple neck looks really good. Based on the photos I didn't expect to like it, but I was pleasantly surprised.