1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender S-1 Switching System P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Anyone played a 2003 Fender P-bass with that new switching system? It's supposed to switch the pickup from series to parallel. They say it will sound brighter, more like a J-bass. Might make the P more slap happy.

How does it sound?

2. Come on.....I know someone has played one of these bass. How do they sound?

3. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I wasn't impressed . . .

It sounds like it mostly just scoops the low mids. When you switch from the standard mode to the alternate mode it sounds like its been neutered.

I suppose the variety might be useful for some obscure situation, but it seems like I could achieve the same result by turning down the low mids on my amp.

The switch is pretty well concealed, but you can still see the outline of the button. I would rather have seen a push-pull volume or tone knob, something that doesn't affect the appearance at all. Either make it completely concealed or just add a switch somewhere. The recessed button seems kind of contrived and lame.

At least in the normal mode it still sounds like a P-bass, and the cost was not increased over the 2002 model.

And the butterscotch blonde w/black pickguard and maple neck looks really good. Based on the photos I didn't expect to like it, but I was pleasantly surprised.