1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender scn vs lindy fralin

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gjuro, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Fender SCN

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Lindy Fralin single coils

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. gjuro

gjuro

Sep 15, 2010
    Croatia
    I have a deluxe jazz with scn pickups and fender pre and set of fralin single coils that I wanted to put in another jazz but I sold it. So now I have to choose which pickups I will keep. I'm thinking of selling SCNs and installing fralins in my deluxe jazz. I don't know how they will work with fender preamp. What would you do?

2. I want to sell my SCN from my MIA Jazz Dlx 5 beucause i want to buy nordstrands, however they are excellent pickups,very quiet and with a versatile tone.

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    They are completely different pickups. What sound are you looking for? Are you willing to put up with a bit of hum?

4. gjuro

gjuro

Sep 15, 2010
    Croatia
    I don't mind the singlecoil hum. I don't know how to describe the sound I'm looking for. I like classic 60's single coil sound but then I like modern sadowsky like sound too. SCNs sound nice and I'm not sure if fralins will sound better :/ I would like to get more aggresive/sadowsky-like sound out of this bass... I can imagine the tone I would get on a passive bass, but I'm not sure how fralins will work with fender pre.

Fralins sound quite nice here with an active preamp:

It's humcancelling version tho

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    compared to the rather meek SCNs, fralins in that bass would jump out and grab you by the neck!

6. gjuro

gjuro

Sep 15, 2010
    Croatia
    Yeah. I'm kinda leaning towards fralins. SCNs sound nice soloed but I don't get that jazz bass sound when both pickups full.

7. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Iv'e just replaced my jazz bass V pickups with Fralin's,and now my neck is sore!!!they really grabbed me for sure!!:p