1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender SCN's...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Apr 17, 2009.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    don't know too much about them, except that they are supposed to be noiseless. Does this mean they are a stacked hummer? Do you need 500k pots for them as with standard hummers? (in a passive circuit)
    What kind of overall tone do you get from them?
    That is comparing them to stock single coils...I have SD 67-70's in one bass and they have a lot of midrange. I hear that SD QP's have very little midrange. The stock Squier Affinity JV pickups have less midrange than the 67-70's, but not exaclty scooped....those kind of comparisons.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    This is just my opinion as there are many different choices in jazz pickups, but if you are looking into hum-canceling jazz pickups the Sadowsky and Nordstrand flavors sound much better than the SCN's. I noticed a substantial improvement when I changed from SCN to Nordstrand in my 5 string Am Deluxe. In fact, the original "Vintage Noiseless" Fender used prior to the SCNs sound much better to my ears. I still have an American Dlx 4 string with those pickups and have never been tempted to change them (and I tweak everything so that says something).

There is always a trade-off when going to a hum-canceling pickup. They don't seem to respond exactly the same way as true single coils. But they do not sound bad by any means and most gigging players find the trade-offs insignificant compared to the lack of noise.

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I have not tried the others, but I am having great success with the SCNs in my MIM Jazz. My band mates and people at our shows comment all the time on the great sound of the bass ( wearing Sunbeams).

To be sure, the bass is completely shielded with copper foil from Stew-Mac and star-grounded, but it is completely, totally silent, even next to my noise-spewing computer.

After some horrendous noise problems being next to light dimmers at gigs, this is the only one I trust to be silent.

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I had a 07 American Deluxe Jazz. My technical term for the tone from its stock SCNs was "meh." But the guy who bought it from me thought it was the best tone evar.

So one of us was probably right.