1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Select Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anezthes, Jan 3, 2012.

1. anezthes

anezthes

Oct 18, 2010
    Fender Introduces Select Series Guitars and Basses - Premier Guitar

Quote:

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    interesting. would be better if they were rear-routed, or just a control plate so you could see more of the top-wood. a clunky old white pickguard just ruins the aesthetics of a figured top.

3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I agree with your pickguard comment.
    However, I would like to see one of these up close!

From Fender's Site (Better view): Fender® | Select ... Select Guitars for Select Individuals

4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    click me: 0170307750_frt_wlg_001.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    a white pearloid pickguard would look better than the plain white, especially on the jazz with those mop block inlays.

6. Looks like the same old thing with a flame maple top. Bored now. :)

7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I'm not bored at all! quartesawn neck, nitrocellulose lacquer, flamed maple top.....$3199 msrp.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's a Lakland!

:)

John

9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Is the Jazz bass one that'll look good with no pickguard? Or if you take it off will there be a big hole there?

10. Flamed tops on Fender basses or guitars are too Gibsonesqe for me. Reminds me of the photoflame era too.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    +1

LOL, photoflame was the first thing I thought of.

12. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    This is the first new Fender bass that made me say, "Really? Why?" You have custom shop basses.

I take that back, the black top basses are kinda dopey too.

13. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Street price on these anyone?

14. dwh87

dwh87

Jul 31, 2007
    Cornwall
    List price is $2999.99 so depending on how well you know your dealer it should be 15 or maybe 20% off

15. Retroman

Retroman

Dec 30, 2006
    True, the CS has high-end basses, but not quite like this one. The passive '64 Jazz has old-school hardware and the active Custom Classics have modern hardware, but its 'Noiseless' pickups with the active circuitry are not to everyone's taste.

One area that Sadowsky and Lakland have had superiority over Fender is the category of modern, high-end passive basses. Now Fender has finally filled this niche. I have wondered why they hadn't done this sooner and were content to give away this business to these other companies.

The American Standard is a very nice passive bass with modern hardware, but not in the same league with Sadowsky, Lull and Lakland. At its price point, it competes very nicely with the competive passive Skyline series--but its American- made.

However, if you wanted a better model than the AS with modern hardware and appointments but did not have money for a Custom Shop, you had to buy the American Deluxe. I bought one but was disapponted. I love its looks and it appeared to be a step-up model from the AS. However, the American Deluxe basses are not shielded and the 'Noiseless' pick-ups and their electronics pick-up radiated noice from AC wiring and other noise-generating sources. Mine, like others had this constant, very annoying hum and buzz, especially in active mode. No one should have to have pay a independent repair shop to shield an expensive bass that should have been shielded to begin with. Its no wonder that bassist are 'offing' their American Deluxes and going back to passive.

With the introduction of the Select Jazz, Fender now has a true step-up passive-only model to the American Standard Jazz. The American Standard has 20 frets and the Select has 20 frets while the American Deluxe has 21 frets.

Take the 20 fret passive American Standard and add a quartersawn neck for better long-term stability, perloid blocks for enhanced looks, a compound radius neck for ease of playing and what are hopefully better pick-ups for superior tone. I bet it even has shielding for noise immunity! These are they types of upgraded features Fender should have incorporated in the American Deluxe if they wanted it to be a clear step-up model over the American Standard.

Like you guys, I love Fender, so I ended-up trading-in my noisey American Deluxe for a '64 CS NOS as it was the only real passive step-up model at the time. I would have probably bought the Select Jazz instead if it were available. Why? I like a balanced passive instrument with the modern advances, like the quartersawn neck and the higher mass bridge. The CS '64 has the old traditional tuners that cause neck dive. To overcome this, I had to chage the tuners to Gotoh Res-o-lites. With the new Select Jazz, I wouldn't have had to change anything!

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    MSRP $2,229 that is $ 1000 difference against the American Standard and the only difference I noticed are:

* Rear-headstock “Fender Select” medallion.
    * Flame maple fretboard
    * Pearloid position inlays
    * Flame maple top.
    * Quartersawn maple neck

I am getting a Fender this year but for this price I coudl get a Road Worn and a MIA Standard.

17. Don't forget the A-string retainer! ;)

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Or a Sadowsky Metro...Wait! Oh heck, just get the Road Worn. :ninja:

19. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    True, I could get a used Sadowsky and a used highway :)

20. senp5f

senp5f

Jan 27, 2008
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Retroman nailed this. Fender saw a niches they thought should be theirs and wasn't, and they want in. All the specs suggest these basses are designed to kill off the USA business of Lakland and Sadowsky's Fender-derived designs.

I'll withhold judgment till I play one, but economics of scale suggest that fender should be able to produce a bass as good as a Lakland because they can distribute the costs over a bigger business. Fender has wildly profitable low end lines to soften the blow of higher costs on these high end lines. That said, we will have to see how well they play and sound.

In any case, I hope this spurs Lakland and Sadowsky to focus on their original designs and innovate there. Lakland in particular has made some great advances with the decade and the hb, and I'd hate to see them slow down to slug it out over 50 year old designs.