Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockabillybass, Oct 28, 2000.

1. Hi,

This is my first post to talkbass. I recently saw a Fender Precision in a music store that I'm considering buying. The dealer said it was a 1971 model. Is there a website anywhere that can match serial numbers to date of production?

I tried the fender site but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  3. Thanks for the two links. The serial number dates it as an early 70's model, somewhere between 70 to 73. It sounds and feels much better than a new one. Just got to get the cash now...

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you go on the Fender Discussion Page and post the number under the basses section, you will probably find out even more about the bass.I think Bill Bolton actually collects serial numbers of Fender basses, but anyway, he and others are very knowledgeable about all the different "generations" of Fenders.

http://www.fenderforum.com/fdp.html?message_area_number=5

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Mr. Gearhead doesn't have info on the Mexican basses. =/ Are there any sites with serials of the Mexican models?

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow - it only took you 6 years to answer that question!! :eek:

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    He's still using D.O.S.

-Mark

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I confess. I still know a bit of DOS 3.3, for whatever reason I don't know.
    Dir C:/*.*\p\s or something like that.

:meh:

I wasn't asked 'that question', but I needed the info and found it via search for 'Fender serial numbers'. So I took the time to update it for others that might actually have an interest in such mundane topics as 'What year was this Fender Mi* manufactured in?'.

Let's see, back then you only had 8000 posts, right? ;)
    :D